Just bought 1985 Mariner 20 HP Electric Start

ChaseO

Recruit
Brand new to this forum and being a boat owner. I'm clueless. Just bought a 15 ft boat that came with a 1985 20 HP mariner. Serial# A161747, I googled the serial number to guess the year model. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I put new spark plugs in it with fresh gas ans sea foam and she fired right up. Only problem that I have noticed is a small chip on the propeller and the latch that holds the cover down is broke, so I have a bungee cord wrapped around to keep it from flying off. Would really like to get a new latch.

Looking for any information a new boat owner should know about this motor.

Thanks.

ChaseO

Recruit
Re: Just bought 1985 Mariner 20 HP Electric Start

Looking for the cowl latch on this? Anyone know where I can get one.

Still looking for information about the motor as well.

Chase

ChaseO

Recruit

Hey Gerry thanks for the information. It's actually 14. Just the latch though, I don't need all the mounting hardware.

Chase

ChaseO

Recruit

Thanks Gerry, have another question. Ran her yesterday, ran fine a half throttle. Put it down to full throttle and she ran fine for about 10-15 seconds before sputtering and losing power. Backed back down to half throttle and she ran fine. Just won't at full throttle.

Chase

carholme

Rear Admiral

Are you running it in a bucket or on the water? If in a bucket do not get carried away with opening the throttle too much or you may find a lot of parts laying in the driveway.

If you are on the water, try the engine again and see if you can eliminate any problems with the fuel pump. When the engine starts to bog down, have someone at the primer bulb and start pumping to see if the rpms will increase. If so, you will need to have a look at the pump.

Gerry

ChaseO

Recruit

I ran it on the water. I'll give that a try next time and see how it works out. Thanks