Water in gear oil 72 mercury 650

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt12k10

Cadet
I noticed water in my gear oil at the end of last season. After the boat has been sitting for a few months I see gear oil coming from under the prop. I pulled the prop this morning to see if this is something I can fix myself and see this. I believe the o-ring behind the bearing carrier is bad/leaking. The oil seal in the middle around the shaft looks dry. Can anyone with more experience tell me if I'm heading in the right direction?
image.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in gear oil 72 mercury 650

The oil there may be from the oil mixed with the gas.--It will collect there when it runs down the exhaust housing over time.--------The best way to determine the condition of gear box seals is a pressure test.

gt12k10

Cadet

Pressure tested. Leaking around drive shaft what all should be replaced?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

If it is an original lower unit the shaft may be carbon steel.---The carbon steel seems to rust right where the seal ride.-----Inspection is required first.

gt12k10

Cadet

I noticed some pitting it wasn't too bad, but I'll get a speedi sleeve while I've got it tore apart. Just not sure if I should buy the parts in a kit or just the individual seals/gaskets, impeller. Thanks for the help

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

You will have to get a the special tool and pull out the carrier set up and replace the seal. If thats the only place its leaking then the prop shaft seal and a O ring is all you need.

Last edited:

Robert Gross

Recruit

You will have to get a the special tool and pull out the carrier set up and replace the seal. If thats the only place its leaking then the prop shaft seal and a O ring is all you need.

Hi new at this, know this is an old forum, but hope you can still help. What tool are you talking about. I have the same 1072 650 and one day it just started jumping out of gear when i gave throttle. I replace the prop, still bad. people told me it was worn forward gear and clutch. Took lower unit off but can't don't know how to get the gears out. Also this all started when a guy "fixed" my control linkage at motor. Any answers?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
it sounds like the linkage is not adjusted correctly, have you got a manual and looked at that your self

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hi new at this, know this is an old forum, but hope you can still help. What tool are you talking about. I have the same 1072 650 and one day it just started jumping out of gear when i gave throttle. I replace the prop, still bad. people told me it was worn forward gear and clutch. Took lower unit off but can't don't know how to get the gears out. Also this all started when a guy "fixed" my control linkage at motor. Any answers?

Your question now has a topic of it's own. This thread is about water in the lower unit oil and not jumping out of gear.

The new topic is here - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ariner-outboards/10127790-jumping-out-of-gear

Status
Not open for further replies.