Mariner 70 hp not going into reverse

dwe9434

Cadet
I have a 1982 Mariner 70 hp, serial # 6030809, when I shift into reverse it barley spins the prop, and I have to rev very high to move boat at all, it feels like it is slipping in and out of gear, and makes a noise like it isn't quite shifting into reverse. Any ideas what this might be? Thanks.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mariner 70 hp not going into reverse

You should check the adjustment of the shift linkage first off to be sure that it is moving as it should for all the gears. When the motor is in FWD the prop will not move CCW and will click and move when turned CW. In NUT the prop should spin with no noise both directions. When in REV the prop should not spin in neither direction. If it dose not do as stated, then disconnect the shift cable from the motor and shift the motor by hand and see if the prop will do as stated. After that you will know if the shift cable is good or worn in the control or the inner casing and causing the trouble. If after the testing the prop still spins freely in REV, with the cable disconnected, then you will need to get a manual for the motor and drop the LU to repair any worn parts in it. Special tools may be needed to remove the prop carrier lock nut that is LEFT HAND THREAD on older motors, in order to get the prop shaft out of the LU. You will probably find that the shift cam or the spring inside the prop shaft is bad or that the sliding shift dog and REV gear have rounded off and causing the trouble. JMO
Oldman570

Last edited: