70 hp mariner tilt trim motor

dwe9434

Cadet
I have a 1982 mariner 70 hp motor, the tilt trim motor quit working so I bought a new one. The problem is that the original motor was two wire, and the new one is three wire with one of the wires bigger than the other two. I know that one is ground but where do the other two go. The serial number for the engine is 6030809. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 70 hp mariner tilt trim motor

AH You have the wrong motor for your setup. Return the one you bought and get the correct motor for your unit. The two wire motor is for a motor that uses relays for the power and the three wire is for the older solenoid controlled units. Other wise you will have to get the relays and do some rewiring to get that new two wire motor to work. If you still have the old motor you can take it to a electrical motor repair shop and have it rebuild, sometimes for less $$$ than a new one.
JMO
Oldman570

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 70 hp mariner tilt trim motor

Does you PTT have the separate Pump/reservoir unit mounted in the boat? It looks like you year was a changeover, and there are some different models. A lot of the PTT motors from your year were three wire. Replacements were sometimes 2 wire. So you may be replacing a replacement PTT motor.

Anyway, I would think you could wire the motor you bought, whether you have the original solenoids or the newer relays. How about some pictures?