2003 75hp mercury elpto starter won't disengage flywheel

TheRev

Recruit
Took my boat out today. Ran great. Got her home and wanted to rinse motor as the river I was running is pretty close to the salt. Tried to fire up the engine at home and it seemed like it was gonna start up, then just started making a buzzing sound. Looked at it and the starter will not pop back down from the flywheel. I have tried spinning them both and that's didn't work. Any other ideas?image.jpgimage.jpg

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 2003 75hp mercury elpto starter won't disengage flywheel

Could be several things from a stuck solenoid to the Bendix need greasing.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

You may have to loosen the starter bolts or remove the starter to get to the main problem of the starter sticking. If the bendix gear comes loose when the bolts are being loosened then you can move the gear up the shaft by hand and place a coating of thin light weight oil on the spiral section of the starter shaft and this should take care of the trouble, unless the starter brushes are bad and with the starter off the motor is a good time to have the starter serviced by a good mechanic that dose electrical repair. make sure you disconnect the battery cables at the battery before working on the motor.JMO
Oldman570

TheRev

Recruit

What should I used/how should i try to lube the bendix? Have been searching iboats and people have mentioned 3 in 1, graphite powder used for auto door locks, dry silicone spray or white lightening bike chain lubrication. Any preferred method? Also how to get it applied, can I apply if from the top and let a little bit drip down the bendix inside the starter? OR will i need to take the starter apart and try to repair it?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Look at the starter helix and see wich way you have to turn / bump the gear to force it down.-------some light grease is all you need on those parts.

out 2 launch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The problem with grease on the starter drive helix is that over time it has a tendency to get sticky, cakes and hardens. It also has a tenacity for collecting dirt and particles that lead to further sticking. Best to use a very light oil, I prefer CRC Formula 6-56, WD-40 will work.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I use a spray graphite that drys.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yep, keep it dry.

You do not want oil getting inside.

graphite or wd40, very small amount on your finger or a q-tip.