Problem pull starting a 2 stroke mercury 35hp '89

Brad1085

Recruit
Hi, I recently had a Mercury outboard 35hp '89 handed down to me. It was sitting for about 10 years so i decided to check things out (spark plugs etc). Everything looks fine i pulled the spark plugs out to check to see if i had "spark", and i do. I was pull-starting the motor during my checks, when I was happy i placed the plugs back in and went to start the motor, again by pull-starting. It would feel like a piston would top out then I couldn't pull anymore unless i released some tension and it would let me take a little more out but not much. When I took the plugs out again and tried to pull start (keeping plugs out) it was a nice smooth pull.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problem pull starting a 2 stroke mercury 35hp '89

You might check the type of spark plug required from that motor. A lot or them were gapless and 3/8" reach. If you have a gap-type plug or a 1/2 " reach plug, the piston could hit. Normally the piston has some clearance below the cylinder head, but I have no idea what spark plugs you are running. I normally ran NGK plugs in my motorcycle and the reach was 3/4" These would likely hit the piston, in your OB.

Brad1085

Recruit

it is a gapless 3/8 inch. I thought it may be to long, so i started backing out the plug to where it was almost out and it still had the same problem

Mi duckdown

Commander

Brad. DON'T BACK OUT THE PLUGS and try to start unless you want to ruin.the threads SERIAL NUMBER OF MOTOR.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi, I recently had a Mercury outboard 35hp '89 handed down to me. It was sitting for about 10 years so i decided to check things out (spark plugs etc). Everything looks fine i pulled the spark plugs out to check to see if i had "spark", and i do. I was pull-starting the motor during my checks, when I was happy i placed the plugs back in and went to start the motor, again by pull-starting. It would feel like a piston would top out then I couldn't pull anymore unless i released some tension and it would let me take a little more out but not much. When I took the plugs out again and tried to pull start (keeping plugs out) it was a nice smooth pull.
I suspect your rewind is binding under load when trying to pull through the compression stroke. To check this ,remove rewind and use another rope on the emergency pully on top of the flywheel. Give it a pull with plugs in. If it pulls smooth repair rewind,If it does not and you have verified the plugs are correct, it is time to remove the head and check for other problems.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

You need to be able to give it a hefty pull to turn those over against compression.------------Electric start kits are available,-----Note --there is no cylinder head that can be removed for inspection.

Brad1085

Recruit

I suspect your rewind is binding under load when trying to pull through the compression stroke. To check this ,remove rewind and use another rope on the emergency pully on top of the flywheel. Give it a pull with plugs in. If it pulls smooth repair rewind,If it does not and you have verified the plugs are correct, it is time to remove the head and check for other problems.

Looking at the flywheel, it doesn't have any place to wedge in the rope to start wrapping the rope around.

Lone Duck

Looking at the flywheel, it doesn't have any place to wedge in the rope to start wrapping the rope around.
Damn! looks like I am batting zero. Never had a motor without a emergency start pulley. Never had a motor that new. Whats the world coming too? In any case check your rewind.

Brad1085

Recruit

lol ok will do. I'm fixing the wiring to the starter now, just taking a bit of time not knowing how the wires are arranged. I can't seem to find any blueprints on the internet for this motor.

Lone Duck

lol ok will do. I'm fixing the wiring to the starter now, just taking a bit of time not knowing how the wires are arranged. I can't seem to find any blueprints on the internet for this motor.
AAHHA!! That explains it. The rewind IS the emergency start. Before you spend to much time on rewiring, take jumper cables direct from batt to starter. neg to ground and pos to pos on starter. If it turns over smooth and quiet no rubbing ,clacking,or grinding sounds. Then you are good to continue getting engine to run.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a link to a manual with wiring diagram that should work for wiring up the starter.
Boatinfo - Mercury Service Manual for 20jet-20-25hp
It is on page 75 or close to it, and is almost the same for most all smaller motors. Searching farther in the manual should get you a full diagram that will have all the wiring of the motor including the charge coil and rectifier charging system. JMO
Oldman570

Last edited:

Lone Duck

Where did he go? What happened? Hope he fixed it, be nice if he told us though!

Brad1085

Recruit

I hooked the battery up to the starter, but the starter didn't work :(. This freebee engine is starting to lose its money saving feel

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

To start off, its a boat motor, their is no free or cheep. I do have a starter wiring for a 96 model that may help you out. It may not be exact though. You didnt say if its a tiller steer or a full remote so here is both and you click on the pic to make it bigger to see it.

electric start remote.jpg

manual start.jpg

Last edited: