Smartcraft gauge confusion.

juicegoose

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm confused on how the smartcraft system works. My 07 nauticstar has a 200 opti on the back and analog gauges in the panel.
Is it a single harness fed from the motor to under the dash and then pick the wires to the gauges your using?
Reason I ask is two fold
1. My speedo quit working. It'll register to like 10 miles per hour but that's it. Any clues on how to troubleshoot?
2. I want to add a fuel use gauge in the dash but I'm unsure what I will need for the install. New harness, gauge(obviously) any better options then smartcraft gauges?

Thanks for your help(yes I'm a newbie with this motor).

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Smartcraft gauge confusion.

The speedo might have a blockage in the pickup tube or hose to the dash and be causing the trouble. You can see if it has a small hose on the back of the speedo and remove it and blow back thru it to see if it helps along with checking the pickup on the motor or the transom if so equipped. Adding a fuel gauge will require a sending unit for the tank, a gauge, and a wire from the battery to the sending unit then to the gauge, then to a 12v+ supply at the dash. JMO
Oldman570

Fun Times

Staff member

The quickest way to add smartcraft is you'll most likely need to add a smartcraft data cable and a something like a MercMonitor. You can still use the analog gauges if you like. Or you could switch over to individual smartcraft gauges as well but you need more jumper harness and junction boxes to do it right. To read fuel level on any of the smart gauges you choose, you'll also need a separate harness from the fuel sender to one of the harness connectors. Fuel usage is calculated by the PCM so it will be in the system at hook up with a MercMonitor.

Google searching smartcraft is your friend when it comes to smart craft information. Hours of info to read.;)

juicegoose

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info guys. Yes there is tons of info online, hence the confusion.