1986 mercury 150 xr2 blackmax charging upgrades

chance83312

Recruit
I am restoring my 1986 Avenger and want to add a amplified stereo and some navigation lights along with upgrading to a 2 battery system. I am pretty new to outboards and wanted to know if there's any way to boost the motors charging system. Before starting restore the stereo would drain the battery even when the motor was running. Is there some type of aftermarket alternater available?

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1986 mercury 150 xr2 blackmax charging upgrades

Sure. You just need a 40 amp stator, a 40 amp flywheel , a coil mounting bracket, two 20 amp voltage regulators, and a different exhaust divider plate and a flywheel cover. Pretty much an entire 2.5 liter charging system. Buy it piece by piece new and you'd spend a thousand or so. Used maybe $400 to $500 ish . Not as bad as it sounds. Theres a guy over on the S&F site that has a complete 175 EFI with a burned piston for $800. You could sell the block, heads, crank and EFI setup for more than that and keep the whole charging system. Free stuff.

The other option is a Simon motorsports 50 AMP alternator kit. They run about $600 but you'd need to use an alien cowl or MAYBE a late 90's 2.0/2.5 cowl and pan to get it to fit.

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain

None of that, stock 40 or alternator, will work with tha clam shell.......So its gotta go with tha change.

Last edited:

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Can he do it without the flywheel cover? I seem to remember that the 40 amp will fit without the cover on the clamshell covers but not with. He'd have to put it on to time the motor but that doesnt happen very often.

chance83312

Recruit

Thanks for the great info, I'm glad there are some options. Would you refer one upgrade over the other.... Alt/stator. Also if I did either upgrade should I still go with a 2 battery set up? Or can a 2 battery handle accessories without engine modification.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

2 batteries will just give you more time between home chargings if your motors charging system isnt up to snuff as far as your load goes. Its a good safety measure if you use an isolation switch and you want to be able to start the motor and get home. First off , figure out your load and determine if you really need more charging. Some people do, especially if you run low speeds and crank that damn stereo frequently. 16 amp systems really dont come into their own until after 3000 ish but if you can't start the motor because your battery is dead thats pretty much a moot point.

If it were my motor I'd buy a core motor ( that one on S&F ) and part it out and keep the charging system. Worst case you'd have to buy a used late model cowl ( $200 ish ) or an aftermarket alien cowl (700 ish ). If you are buying an aftermarket alien cowl anyway and are blowing up your tax return and you dont want to hassle with parting a motor out then buy the Simon alternator kit ($600 ) . You'd have $900- $1300 in it by the time you were done.

If you arent familiar with what an alien cowl looks like ..here is what they look like. I'm not a huge fan of them but some people like that modern look.

14d2ic7.jpg

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain

Can he do it without the flywheel cover? I seem to remember that the 40 amp will fit without the cover on the clamshell covers but not with. He'd have to put it on to time the motor but that doesnt happen very often.

Nope. To many additions of tha other stuff also. Clam shell mounting brackets would cause problems in addition tha clearance issues of tha "other" stuff.......

Stock '89 up cowls or like ya say tha "hi po" stuff.....

Last edited: