Help. Need to find qualified tech in Marco Island, Florida for 1989 200 hp (2.5) EFI

tedbIII

Recruit
Hi I have a friend with a 1998 200 hp E.F.I. He's having a issue with the engine not going over 2400 rpm's. I'm unfortunately in Michigan so I can't help him right now. I service the boat in Michigan. I had him check the high and low coils in the stator for continuity and they both checked good.
He finally took it to someone there and found he was getting trigger codes that this guy says he has never seen before. He said he checked the trigger coils and that they check good. He told us it needs a new E.C.U because when it gets these codes it kills 3 injectors. (Not possible on this engine). He recommended switching over to carburetors and said the E.C.U.'s were not available anymore.
I didn't think this was the problem but was at the mercy of the guy in Florida. I had a refurbished E.C.U. shipped over night to my friend from a reputable company in California mentioned many times on this forum and different forum's I subscribe to.
The tech in Florida Put the E.C.U. on and said it was another "p.o.s. rebuild" because now it won?t even idle the fuel pump is shutting off after 10 second.(I don't think he ever readjusted the throttle position switch with the second E.C.U. causing it not to idle.). The company was kind enough to send us another E.C.U. he plugged this in said the codes were gone and sent my buddy on his way.
My friend put the boat in the water and now it was idling at 1200 r.p.m's and still wouldn't go over 2400 r.p.m.(this didn't surprise me). They sent another guy out the trigger codes were back. He did a bunch of tests at the dock and sold my buddy 2 switch box's, this didn't fix it either. Now there saying it?s the E.C.U. again. I don't think there has been a problem with any of the E.C.U's!!!
My Guess is that it is a stator problem, or a trigger coil problem thus the need for a Reputable Technician in the Marco Island or Naples Florida area. My Friends vacation is being wrecked and money is being wasted because these guys working on the boat probable don't even have a dva meter to check the system completely.

Any suggestions of a reputable tech that knows this e.f.i and ignition system would be appreciated.

I just had surgery on my ankle 2 days ago unless i would fly down there and fix it for him.

Thanks in advance for you help
Ted Binkowski

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Help. Need to find qualified tech in Marco Island, Florida for 1989 200 hp (2.5)

I have a friend down at Marco but they don't own a boat, go figure. Only Mercury dealer down there in the area for outboards appears to be Marinemax. 236-262-1000

Could find no one listed as outboard premier dealer but they are listed as mercruiser premier

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help. Need to find qualified tech in Marco Island, Florida for 1989 200 hp (2.5)

Only thing left is the stator and maybe the trigger. TPS could be bad or out of adjustment and temp sensor could be bad as well but if no one is actually testing any of that stuff your buddy is in for a big parts bill.

tedbIII

Recruit

I was thinking about taking him though a few tests. I was hoping to have him take dva readings while he has it duplicating the symptoms, but be didn't have a dva meter. I wounded if I could have him use a dvom and compare the readings to figure out what's wrong? I would think you could usea dvom an ac voltages and look for a loss of reading from the stator coils, or the trigger coils. What do you think?

Dukedog

Captain

Key Largo to far?

Last edited:

tedbIII

Recruit

yes i think key largo is to far, but thank you anyway.