Low oil alarm 89' 200 hp Mariner. wont turn over.

lrabun

Cadet
The plastic nipple that the hose that connects to on the sender unit on top of the remote oil tank broke today. I'm guess not enough oil getting to the engine or lose of suction/compression sounded the 3 low oil alarm beeps.
-Oil tank on engine is full of oil.
-Oil can be seen in the hose coming out of oil pump on motor.
-Motor will not turn over or run or do anything for that matter

So I know I need to replace the cap/sender unit on top of the remote oil tank and reconnect the hose.

Question is once I do this, how to I reset the alarm so that the motor will turn over again?

Thanks for your help in advance

Dukedog

Captain
Re: Low oil alarm 89' 200 hp Mariner. wont turn over.

Motor should turn over no mater what. Oiler has nothin' ta do with that. Ya got other problems along with tha broken bib...........

Last edited:

lrabun

Cadet

Motor should turn over no mater what. Oiler has nothin' ta do with that. Ya got other problems along with tha broken bib...........

Thats not good... Here is a video link ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4tizsuoc8yx9r6/VIDEO0033.mp4) of the final moments of the motor running. Listen for the clanking sound right before the motor dies. Any ideas what that could be? It sounded like rocks in the jet pump to me, but there is no way there are rocks in the pump.

This is what happened leading up to this in the video:
-Left boat dock at low speed
-Once I started to speed up, the motor made a sound like there where rocks in the jet pump and died.
-Motor started back up ( this is when the video is taken ) and dies again. you can here the same noise in the motor right before it dies.
-Problem only seemed to happen when I started to speed up.
-When I try to start motor it sounds like there is come thing electric turning (maybe the starter?) but nothing else happens.
There was a little metal shaving on one of the spark plugs when I checked it after all this happened.

Heres what I can tell you.

-I just got the boat. Did a lake test when I bought it and it ran fine. I also did a compression test all cylinder tested the same PSI.
-Since I have had it I have filled it with gas and a whole can of sea foam.
-Replaced a small gas line on the motor.
-Replaced the spark plugs. Didn't use a torque wrench just tightened then 1/2 to 2/3 as described on the plug box.

Dukedog

Captain

There was a little metal shaving on one of the spark plugs when I checked it after all this happened.

Ya probably stuck a piston. Gotta pull tha heads and take a look..........

lrabun

Cadet

Ya probably stuck a piston. Gotta pull tha heads and take a look..........

Any idea what would of made this happen? Was it something I did?
If this is the case estimated cost of repair?

Dukedog

Captain

No tellin' till it gets checked out. Could be 'lectric, fuel, heat (not necessarily coolin' water related heat either) They all cause heat. Usually with one cylinder its not gonna be tha coolin' or oilin' system......
Probably nothin' you did but can't really say.
From 'bout grand on up. Damage? Parts, machine work, patched up or fixed right (in my book). Depends on how ya want it done and who does it.

But don't get ahead of yourself. Get it checked out if ya have someone close by.........jmo

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Fairly easy to remove the cylinderhead.--Remove the one that had the metal on the sparkplug.-----Then post some pictures.-Does not sound good at all.

lrabun

Cadet

Never removed a cylinder head. Will oil pour out? Any advice is welcome.

Dukedog

Captain

No. Take some pictures of tha motor. '89 shouldn't be a clam shell cowlin'.........

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Remove the bigger bolts and remove hose from fitting.------Excellent to ask before doing any work if you are not 100% sure of things.

Dukedog

Captain

What he said. Tha 12 on tha outside edge. Its not an '89 either.............