20hp mercury thunderbolt

bamaguy78

Recruit
I have a old merc 20hp tiller handle with serial number 5410042, not sure on the year but I think its a late 70's. my problem is I want to add electric start to it and ive got everything I need to do it but don't have a wiring diagram in order to wire it up, all I can find online is the diagram for one with steering wheel and not a tiller handle any help?????

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 20hp mercury thunderbolt

You can modify the wiring diagram for the steering consul unit and just wire the motor for the ignition switch , by using short wires from the motor to a switch. Then wire the rectifier thru the switch in order to charge the battery. The use of a good four wire outdoor rated automotive trailer cord, or marine wire that can be bought here on Iboats will do the job. This will let you mount the switch in a convent location in the boat. You can also place a man over board switch on the motor, at the same time, for a safety measure. JMO
Oldman570

bamaguy78

Recruit

You can modify the wiring diagram for the steering consul unit and just wire the motor for the ignition switch , by using short wires from the motor to a switch. Then wire the rectifier thru the switch in order to charge the battery. The use of a good four wire outdoor rated automotive trailer cord, or marine wire that can be bought here on Iboats will do the job. This will let you mount the switch in a convent location in the boat. You can also place a man over board switch on the motor, at the same time, for a safety measure. JMO
Oldman570

Thanks! 2 more questions, is there some where I can look up my serial number to see exact year of my motor and do I have to use a rectifier?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Motor appears to be a 79 model.-----A rectifier is part of the battery charging system.--Charging system is not needed to make a motor as electric start only.