Synthetic oil Yes or No.

skullatinny

Cadet
Hi, Could someone tell me if it's ok. to use synthetic oil in my 2hp 2 stroke Mariner outboard motor please. I have always used TCW3 oil in a 50/1 mixture in the motor,and now a dealer near me has a special on TCW3 synthetic oil. The word "SYNTHETIC" has me a bit concerned.Will it be ok to use it & what is the difference?:confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Synthetic oil Yes or No.

Your outboard will smoke less. That's the only difference you may notice. Oh, and your wallet may get lighter, as well.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

If its actual TCW3 oil and not Amsoil you wont hurt anything running synthetic. You won't gain anything either.

skullatinny

Cadet

Hi & thanks for your quick replies. Yes it is TCW3 synthetic oil & i still don't know what the difference is between TCW3 oil & TCW3 "synthetic oil". Also what is Amsoil? Thanks.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Amsoil is a name brand of oil praised by the oil god's to be one of the best oils on the market especially in the high performance world. AMSOIL PowerSports Product Lookup Guide

Good one. Amsoil is a muliti level marketing scheme similar to Amway and Mary Kay Cosmetics. They sell 2 cycle oil oil that is NOT TCW-3 approved with misleading wording on the container that tries to lead you to believe it is. Some of it is but their biggest seller, the HP Marine Synthetic most certainly is is not and the quote about being used in the high performance world almost made me spew my beer across the keyboard. It is really only good for weed killer at which it excels.

Here is a list of oils from the NMMA that ARE TCW-3 approved.

http://www.nmma.org/assets/cabinets/Cabinet456/2013%20TC-W3.pdf

Last edited:

skullatinny

Cadet

I want to thank you guys for all the info.on TCW3 SYNTHETIC oils. My next move will be to buy some while it's still on special. This site is the best thing since sliced bread. Thanks again..

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I run synthetic in all my equipment. Also include Sea Foam which I learned about on this site back in '04 and haven't been without since. Both have proven to be to my advantage over the years. Cost is mitigated by me not having to tear things down for repairs which are a seldom occurrence. My last repair job including my lawn mowers, farm tractors, trucks, and 2 stroke equipment including chain saws, weed eaters, garden tiller, and OB engine was my '02 90hp Merc. I took the bowls off the carbs, blew them out with compressed air and put them back together last year. First time carbs have had any attention.....in 11 years!!!!!!! Found a few tiny pieces of black hose. One was in the high speed jet on #2 and the reason for the teardown. Runs like a top now.

Mark