Water from poppet 2001 Mercury 125hp

vab53

Cadet
Attach is a picture of my outboard. If you look closely I have water coming from the hole that is located over the poppet. Should there be water coming from the hole?

Background: I ran in shallow water an kicked up a bunch of sand. I had to stick fishing line in the tell tale multiple times to get a strong stream. When I got home I connected the backwash port to engine but only had a weak flow. I then ran the engine on muffs and got a little stronger flow. To clear the engine of sand I used an air compressor to try to dislodge the sand. It worked and I now have a very strong flow on the muffs and the backwash attachment. I did use the air compressor in the poppet hole. I do not ever remember seeing water coming from that hole.

Attachments

• 20140127_165358.jpg
    20140127_165358.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water from poppet 2001 Mercury 125hp

That hole is a vent and it allows the poppit diaphragm to move with the change of water pressure on the other side.-----So the diaphragm has a leak or there is corrosion there that is presenting a leak path.------You used an air compressor on that vent hole ??----Why would you do that ?

vab53

Cadet

Now I know. It's a lesson learned. I will change the diaphragm and clean any corrosion. Thanks for the info.

sam am I

Commander

I wouldn't sweat the small stuff Vab, we've all been there once or twice:whistle: Even racer has a few I bet.