Main engine wiring harness question

cwgirl197

Cadet
Okay, first off, I'm new here and need some help. Second, I'm a woman so take it sort of easy on me as far as technical terms go.....but we just bought a 1997 Nitro with a Tracker by Mercury 60hp motor and have found a problem. Apparently, there is possibly a broken wire in the large wire that goes into the main wiring harness to the motor or something along those lines. We can try to start the motor one time and have power, but the next time, nothing. If you jiggle that large wire, tada....you get power again!! Now, does that sound like the large wire into the main wiring harness needs to be replaced??? Thanks everyone in advance for the help, and what gauge wire and type do we need or should this be done by a professional??

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Main engine wiring harness question

Okay, first off, I'm new here and need some help. Second, I'm a woman so take it sort of easy on me as far as technical terms go.....but we just bought a 1997 Nitro with a Tracker by Mercury 60hp motor and have found a problem. Apparently, there is possibly a broken wire in the large wire that goes into the main wiring harness to the motor or something along those lines. We can try to start the motor one time and have power, but the next time, nothing. If you jiggle that large wire, tada....you get power again!! Now, does that sound like the large wire into the main wiring harness needs to be replaced??? Thanks everyone in advance for the help, and what gauge wire and type do we need or should this be done by a professional??

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Generally speakin' the pins that go into that cannon plug are split pins,...

Many times just cleanin' the holes for the pins with a tiny brush, 'n spreadin' the pins slightly, allows a better contact area in each circuit,...

I'd sooner think you've got abit of a corrosion problem, over a broken wire problem,...

I'll move this to the Merc outboard forum for ya,...

cwgirl197

Cadet

Thank you. My hubby says that he feels something in the wire moving when he jiggles it by where it goes into the cowling. Still think it might be the pins into the plug?? Any help is much appreciated.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Generally speakin' the pins that go into that cannon plug are split pins,...

Many times just cleanin' the holes for the pins with a tiny brush, 'n spreadin' the pins slightly, allows a better contact area in each circuit,...

I'd sooner think you've got abit of a corrosion problem, over a broken wire problem,...

I'll move this to the Merc outboard forum for ya,...

sam am I

Commander

Second, I'm a woman so take it sort of easy on me as far as technical terms go

We would never treat anyone differently due to gender here or anywhere for that matter, that would be sexist!!:faint2: :nono:

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

How about a picture of where he is jiggling? Will provide some background info for an answer. Also remove the cowling and take another picture or two.

The starting solenoid (high current switch) is energized (closed) by applying 12v from the start switch in the remote control through the yellow wire with a red stripe through the engine connector. If you have an 8 pin connection in the engine where the remote electrical harness connects, it will be on pin 7.

One reason for the picture is to see if the harness is/has been crimped by the way the engine moves. Other thing could be a bad wire connection at the solenoid terminals. One thing to look for is loose nuts, loose crimps where the wires are crimped to terminals under the mounting nuts, and corrosion. So a picture of the solenoid would help also. It's easy to find. Go to the starter and follow the large red wire back to the solenoid. Other large red terminal is the input voltage from the battery cable.

Mark

cwgirl197

Cadet

Thank y'all a million! I'll take some pictures and upload them in a little bit. This place is absolutely awesome with many helpful and knowledgable people. Thank y'all!!