Mercury classic 50 power trim

Papafluff

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all
I'm in the process of buying a 1986 merc classic 50. The motor does not have power trim it has a gas assist shock. I have found a trim unit for sale it's off another classic 50. It's the old style where the pump mounts in the boat. Will this unit replace the shock assist unit? How much is involved in doing so? I can get the unit complete for 400.00. My other option would be to buy a aftermarket trim unit for a couple hundred more. The new one would have a 6 to 7" setback not sure how this would affect things seeing this is tiller steering. I would like to keep things original but not sure how easy the conversion would go from the gas assist to the power. I'm looking to feed off all the advice and knowledge I can get and greatly appreciate it

Papafluff

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury classic 50 power trim

Is there no one that can offer any input?????

CML

Cadet

I don't know much about these particular motors but I have had experience with the type of trim pump that mounts inside the boat like you mentioned and from some research it looks like it is a very similar pump to what I have dealt with with my 75' merc 1500. These pumps spring leaks very often, I have talked to some experts about this as well and they said there is not much out there in replacement parts so they can be very difficult if anything fails. So I would definitely go with the aftermarket pump if you can make it work, sorry I couldn't offer more help.

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain

I don't know about your year but on my 1982 I installed the old style remote pump and it was a simple install.

Papafluff

Seaman Apprentice

Hi all
I've got the motor and very pleased with my purchase. As I stated it has no power trim and I would really like it. This motor is a tiller and the tiller handle is about 7" longer than the honda that's on the boat now. With that said I'm leaning toward an after market power trim unit. These units set the motor back 6" but with the longer tiller I should be ok. Also I've read the 6" setback really helps the performance. Any thoughts on this? The factory power trim for this motor has the pump that has to go inside the boat with hydraulic lines running back to the motor and I'm not really crazy about that setup. I'm looking for some advice and thoughts on this and thank you all for your knowledge and time