Mercury 850 control cable removal tips?

phoenix37

Cadet
Cant figure out for the life of me how the bushings at the end of the control cables come out. Doesnt seem like there is enough room to get the throttle bushing out nevermind the shift cable which is buried below it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercury 850 control cable removal tips?

You gotta unclip the holder and swing it out of the way.

phoenix37

Cadet

Thanks George I did that already. Its out as far as it will go. Does it actually unhinge somehow?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Well, mine kinda hinges up and swings out of the way. I remember it was a bit tricky. Don't have the boat close or I'd look for ya. Its about 30 miles away winter stored til April in my son's pole barn, sorry.

phoenix37

Cadet

i unclipped it but it doesnt seem to swing out far enough to remove the bushings. Ill keep messin with it. No problem thank you for the advice.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

It just flips out of the way.----Simple once you look at it and figure this out.-----When the other end is off they just slide out of the motor.

phoenix37

Cadet

Im sure its simple and im feeling like an idiot for not being able to figure out but i have it unclipped and swung out all the way. Managed to get the top one off but the bottom one is right up against the latch. Not much room to pull it out.

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0

phoenix37

Cadet

Ah well that explains it. It does unhinge on the bottom. Thanks for the help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You need to loosen the nut in the center of the "Cashew" shaped aluminum retainer on the terminal end of the shift cable. Now the cable can be pushed down and the retainer can be turned CW or CCW. One way will release the shift cable, the other won't.

Sinkingslow

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,
I have a similiar question. I am trying to remove the 115 Merc outboard so I can do some restoration of the transom. Looking at the bottom of the motor casing(cowl) I see the cable going to a pin with a nut on it. I am afraid to start disconnect with out a good schematic. My manual does not really show a blown up. This is a 1975 starcraft with a 115 horse Merc outboard. Also need help in the proper way to remove the hydraulic tilt trim.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Disconnecting the cables on a 6 cylinder is the same as mentioned above for the 4 cylinder motor.-----Undo the hydraulic hoses for the trim / tilt unit.------Undo controls wiring.---Disconnect steering .-Now undo motor clamps / bolts .-Lift motor with trim / tilt off the transom.