1987 mercury wont start unless trimmed all the way down

duppie03

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1987 90hp ELPTO that wont start unless it's trimmed all the way down. This gets to be a problem when Im sitting in around a foot of water fishing the flats. Once I get the motor started it will run trimmed up but getting it started is tough. There have been a few times I've either had to get out and push, or pole my flats boat to deeper water.

Any suggestions with my problem are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 mercury wont start unless trimmed all the way down

I know the older ones have a mercury switch that wont allow it to start if trimmed up..

does it crank and just not fire?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Look into issues with the enricher circuit.----What is your start procudure when engine is trimmed up.

little.boat

Seaman

Has this always been a problem it just recently developed? If it is new maybe you need to clean and rebuild your carbs.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I know the older ones have a mercury switch that wont allow it to start if trimmed up..

does it crank and just not fire?

That is the first question

duppie03

Seaman Apprentice

It does crank, but no it doesnt fire...The problem has recently started with my last two trips out fishing. Once I can get in water deep enough to lower the motor down it fires right up and runs great.

Alumarine

Captain

It does crank, but no it doesnt fire...The problem has recently started with my last two trips out fishing. Once I can get in water deep enough to lower the motor down it fires right up and runs great.

After you get it started will it run when it's trimmed up?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I would suspect the mercury kill tilt switch,

duppie03

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it runs while its trimmed up

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I would suspect the mercury kill tilt switch,

+1^^^ If it died once you got it running and then trimmed it up i would have said it was a carb issue.

Dukedog

Captain

Mercury switch is supposed ta keep it from starting when trimmed all tha way "up". Usually if they go south (which seldom happens) it will keep it from starting or let it start in any position. Take if completely off and tape up tha wire ta see what happens. Sounds like tha problem might be something else...........jmo

Last edited:

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if there is any way possible to adjust the tilt of the mercury switch a bit?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

You need to test to determine if it is an ignition or fuel problem.

The very first test is simply check for spark when the condition occurs. Pull a spark plug wire, attach a spark checker or have some very brave soul hold the wire while you hit the starter. Once the guy screams you'll know for sure the ignition is fine and you need to clean the carbs and adjust the float levels exactly as spelled out in the factory service manual.

If you don't have a brave soul aboard a spark tester will work just fine.

Alumarine

Captain

You need to test to determine if it is an ignition or fuel problem.

The very first test is simply check for spark when the condition occurs. Pull a spark plug wire, attach a spark checker or have some very brave soul hold the wire while you hit the starter. Once the guy screams you'll know for sure the ignition is fine and you need to clean the carbs and adjust the float levels exactly as spelled out in the factory service manual.

If you don't have a brave soul aboard a spark tester will work just fine.

If you can't find a brave person a stupid one will do...

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

agree with a number of above..disco the little black mercury switch from the switch box....that will most likely be the problem....don't need it if you don't start the motor out of the water and burn up the impeller...that is the safety function on the switch....

duppie03

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for everyone's replys, Ill be trying your suggestions tonight down at the ramp when I get home.