1987 Bass Tracker Mercury 45HP Classic Fifty Clicking noise; won't turn over and star

mavericktx

Recruit
Hey everyone,

I have a 1987 Bass Tracker TX17 with a Classic Fifty Mercury 45HP motor on it. I have had this boat in my family since I was 3 years old. It ran fine up until I let it sit unfortunately for the last 3 years. I am in the process of restoring the entire boat. My dad who gave it to me isnt't in the best health and he would like to go out fishing one last time with me in his old boat that we have so many memories with. I've put new wheels and tires on trailer, and rewired all trailer lights. I have pulled all dry-rotted wood and carpet out and I am replacing with herculiner, spray-in bedliner. I charged up a brand new cranking battery and hooked it up last weekend. When I turned the key it just clicked. As if the starter is not working. The flywheel turns freely. I intend to swap out carbs, put new plugs in, replace fuel delivery assembly, and replace impeller which I plan on doing within the next few weeks. But want to solve each problem systematically. Any clues on what to do next?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1987 Bass Tracker Mercury 45HP Classic Fifty Clicking noise; won't turn over and

Hey everyone,

I have a 1987 Bass Tracker TX17 with a Classic Fifty Mercury 45HP motor on it. I have had this boat in my family since I was 3 years old. It ran fine up until I let it sit unfortunately for the last 3 years. I am in the process of restoring the entire boat. My dad who gave it to me isnt't in the best health and he would like to go out fishing one last time with me in his old boat that we have so many memories with. I've put new wheels and tires on trailer, and rewired all trailer lights. I have pulled all dry-rotted wood and carpet out and I am replacing with herculiner, spray-in bedliner. I charged up a brand new cranking battery and hooked it up last weekend. When I turned the key it just clicked. As if the starter is not working. The flywheel turns freely. I intend to swap out carbs, put new plugs in, replace fuel delivery assembly, and replace impeller which I plan on doing within the next few weeks. But want to solve each problem systematically. Any clues on what to do next?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The Click is probably the solenoid,....

Clean to Shiny metal Clean the wirin' ends from the battery, to the solenoid, to the starter itself, 'n the Grounds from the battery to the block,...

Hopefully, that'll cure it,...

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1987 Bass Tracker Mercury 45HP Classic Fifty Clicking noise; won't turn over and

As Bondo pointed out, the starter solenoid may have poor contacts inside.

An easy test is to grab your trusty battery jumper cables. You really only need one, attached to the battery Positive, strick and hold it directly to the starter Positive lug, either at the solenoid or at the starter. If it cranks now replace the solenoid, If it jus hums, the starter needs rebuilt.