!980 pos 81 40HP Mercury Trigger part # identification problem.

James R

Commander
40HP 2Cyl 5751264. Someone earlier has worked on this motor and replaced the stator with CDI 174-5255 and the Switch box with CDI 114-4911. Both of these appear to be correct. Bad and intermittent sparks led to checking the Trigger. Resistance measurements show the trigger to be defective. The Trigger fitted has three wires white and two browns. The drawings for this motor show the trigger with only two wires. Which is the correct trigger for this motor?
Any help would be appreciated.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: !980 pos 81 40HP Mercury Trigger part # identification problem.

This might help with your problem.
Boatinfo - Mercury Service Manual for 30-40hp 2 cylinder
It shows the three wire trigger with a white a brown, and a purple wire coming from the trigger unit.
This is for a newer type ignition and the older motors did only have a two wire trigger.
Someone may have switched out the power head for a newer one or they might have switch it over for a CDI electronic system.
A call to CDI might get more info as to the fitment of the parts and just what trigger you should have.
Here is a trigger that is the one you might have,

Part Number
134-3960-2

Manufacturer
CDI Electronics

JMO
Oldman570

Last edited:

James R

Commander
Re: !980 pos 81 40HP Mercury Trigger part # identification problem.

Thanks for the response Oldman. The type of trigger that you pointed out are 3 wire but of a different mechanical design. I have elected to go with the trigger shown in the parts list and have CDI explain how it connects to their 5 wire replacement switch box. Of course the replacement trigger could be three wires. I have no way of knowing as I have no picture of it. I will post the outcome.
Thanks again.