Mercury repair 1984 35 HP

volvoboy

Recruit
I have a 1984 35 HP Mercury Outboard. I need to remove the engine from the tilt assembly. I see the mounting bolts, but question the shift rod. If I remove the lower unit, does the shift rod come down with it, allowing the engine to be lifted up from the tilt bracket? Any helpful info would be much appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercury repair 1984 35 HP

I have a 1984 35 HP Mercury Outboard. I need to remove the engine from the tilt assembly. I see the mounting bolts, but question the shift rod. If I remove the lower unit, does the shift rod come down with it, allowing the engine to be lifted up from the tilt bracket? Any helpful info would be much appreciated.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... You'll have to drop the lower unit, then pull the power head off the mid-section to pull the shift rod up, 'n out,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You do NOT need to drop the lower unit to remove the power-head or the shift shaft. The shift shaft is attached to the shift cable slide (which is mounted on the port side of the power-head), so the nut needs to be removed so the arm can drop away from the cable slide. Once the power-head is off you can just lift the upper shift-shaft out, it's splined to the lower shift shaft. If you don't need to remove the shaft though, I would leave it there.

Why do you need to remove the power-head?

Chris.....

volvoboy

Recruit

You do NOT need to drop the lower unit to remove the power-head or the shift shaft. The shift shaft is attached to the shift cable slide (which is mounted on the port side of the power-head), so the nut needs to be removed so the arm can drop away from the cable slide. Once the power-head is off you can just lift the upper shift-shaft out, it's splined to the lower shift shaft. If you don't need to remove the shaft though, I would leave it there.

Why do you need to remove the power-head?

Chris.....

Thanks for your help. The steering has become almost frozen. I disconnected the steering cable but the motor itself does not turn. It appears the shaft the motor pivots on is frozen. I tried to heat the housing and re grease it like a boat shop explained to me and it did free up a lot but then when it cooled off it got stiff again. I assume I need to remove the motor from the tilt/turning bracket and clean up the shaft and hole? The shift rod goes thru the tube the motor turns on so I can't see how to remove the motor from the pivot without removing the rod first. Is there a different repair? i definitely appreciate your wisdom Sir!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ah, very common problem... Yeah, you need to pull the power-head, pull the shift shaft out, remove the nuts that hold the drive-shaft housing to the swivel tube... Once you've done that, pull the clip off the bottom of the swivel tube and drop the bottom mount off. That will allow you to pull the swivel tube up and out of the swivel housing. Then clean all the cack grease and rubbish out, clean the swivel shaft up, grease it and the swivel housing up plenty and start the reassembly.... Also make sure the grease nipples are clear and grease will push through them ok... I would also drop the gearbox off (at the beginning of the job) to make it a bit easier. (You can also check the water pump and give the gearbox a birthday too while you have it off :)).

Chris.......

Last edited: