1995 Mercury Outboard 115 HP - Drive Shaft & Shift Shaft Splines

Tyler J Powell

Recruit
I have a 1995 Mercury Outboard 115 HP. The manual says to lubricate the drive shaft & shift shaft splines once a year. My boat has also been in saltwater a couple of times.

The manual recommends that I have a Mercury dealer perform this. Since I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this, should I just do this myself? Is it pretty easy?

And should I do it before taking it back out on the water in a few months?

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1995 Mercury Outboard 115 HP - Drive Shaft & Shift Shaft Splines

Do it yourself, you have the manual and what better time to do it than now. You just have to drop the LU, lube the splines and re-install. Good chance to check on your impeller while you are in there if it has not been changed for some time. Lubing the shaft splines will ensure that you don't experience the difficult job of trying to separate the LU from the engine when the splines are corroded.

Gerry

Tyler J Powell

Recruit

Thanks Gerry. Would you use 2-4-C on it? And what do you look for on the impeller that would indicate it needs replacing?
My impeller hasn't been replaced in a few years, but the water spout is working fine.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Thanks Gerry. Would you use 2-4-C on it? And what do you look for on the impeller that would indicate it needs replacing?
My impeller hasn't been replaced in a few years, but the water spout is working fine.

You have the large vane impeller, same as the Alpha One Gen II Mercruisers.

I did a service on mine a while ago and videoed the session. Have a look at the videos and it will show you what to look for.

And yes, 2-4-C is fine on the drive-shaft and shift shaft splines.

Alpha One Gen II water pump service (Part A)
Alpha One Gen II water pump service (Part B)

Chris..........