1989 Mariner 2 stroke kicker problems

CrankinMonkey

Recruit
I have a 1989 Mariner 9.9,2 stroke that will run, however, not at a constant speed. It will randomly idle up/down. It ran perfect until my wife left it in the water one time while running the 150 for a couple hundred yards. It ran good after that for about ten minutes while trolling and then, out of nowhere started to change speed, and bog up/down... Please help... Have had carbs gone through, and changed the plugs. I am at a complete loss. Has good compression (100+ in both cylinders), I dont even know for sure if running with it down has anything to do with the problems...

CrankinMonkey

Recruit
Re: 1989 Mariner 2 stroke kicker problems

I just realized that if I put my hand over the front of the carb... it will run like it should... now really confused. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

If the motor runs as it should when you put your hand over the carb, it needs to be adjusted or cleaned again. I would suspect that the passages in the carb have become plugged/restricted from the bouncing caused by running the big motor with the 9.9 down. By blocking the airflow to the carb you make the fuel mixture run richer. JMO
Oldman570

CrankinMonkey

Recruit

If the motor runs as it should when you put your hand over the carb, it needs to be adjusted or cleaned again. I would suspect that the passages in the carb have become plugged/restricted from the bouncing caused by running the big motor with the 9.9 down. By blocking the airflow to the carb you make the fuel mixture run richer. JMO
Oldman570

Thank you. I will give it a shot. I was also thinking about changing out the voltage regulator, more just because it is getting older, and it still has the original. Gonna fill er' up with Sea Foam, leave er' over night, and see how she does. Thanks again.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The regulator/rectifier unit can be tested easily with just a ohm meter. If the motor is a electric start module, it should have the rectifier. Manual start motors do not have the rectifier usually. A check at the CDI website will get the way to test the rectifier, or a search here on Iboats should get the way to test it.
JMO
Oldman570