1989 9.9 2 Stroke Propeller Shaft Seal Leaking

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Happy New Year Y'all

I hope this is not a duplicate post because I thought I had posted already but maybe didn't click properly.

I have the textbook yucky whitish grey oil water emulsion dripping from the propeller front and back. It goes without saying that the propeller shaft seal is leaking and further confirmation when I drained the gear case.

I have the same whitish emulsion coming out of the Exhaust as well and it runs down the back of the leg.

My Questions

A.......Could the fact that it is coming out of the exhaust be directly related to the leaking prop shaft seal ? Or would you say I have more than one problem?

B.......Can the shaft seal be replaced without pulling the Lower End??

C........Do I need to flush out the lower end or do I just drain it and put fresh lube?

Thanks in Advance

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1989 9.9 2 Stroke Propeller Shaft Seal Leaking

Question D.......If you don't mind. Any good online sources outlining the procedure step by step?

Thanks

carholme

Rear Admiral

What is your engine s/n?

Gerry

racerone

Supreme Mariner

No guessing should be done here.---Gearcases are routinely pressure tested to find the actual leak.----Do it right the first time.

carholme

Rear Admiral

George;

That s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 9.9 H.P. (1988 ))
Serial No: 0B283838 Model No: 1010201BD

Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 0B283838:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

See my message to you in Notifications at the top of this page concerning the service manual.

Gerry

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No guessing should be done here.---Gearcases are routinely pressure tested to find the actual leak.----Do it right the first time.

Can I pressure test it by for example taking my air blow gun rubber tip and hold it against the top breather plug hole (gearcase) and test it with soapy water watching for bubbles? Say 15 to 20 psi??

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

15 PSI is more that plenty.----Using a compressor can be dangerous.-----I made an adapter with gauge that screws into the drain hole ( 3/8-NC thread ) and use a very controlled bicycle pump to put pressure on of 5 psi.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you all for your quick responses and in particular to Gerry for the help with the Repair Manual.

This is a great forum and if I should have something to offer in the future I will be happy to participate.

Thanks again

George

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

This is what I use.

15 lbs pressure,5-6 lbs vacuum for at least 20 minutes. Use soapy water to find leak's if it doesn't hold pressure.

stopngo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is what I use.

15 lbs pressure,5-6 lbs vacuum for at least 20 minutes. Use soapy water to find leak's if it doesn't hold pressure.

10....4 on that. As for the comment by another that a compressor is dangerous I should add that it is always through an adjusted regulator .

If I can hold back the pressure with my finger over the nozzle then there is no danger of over pressurizing anything I figure.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

It is dangerous to use a compressor !!

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you sure it is the gear case and not just unburnt oil from the exhaust?
Did you remove the lower gear case fill screw and inspect the condition of the oil? Loose the lower screw. Let a couple of drips come out and put it back. Those drips will tell you the oil condition. If it is not whitish grey like the discharge then the discharge is likely from the exhaust.