1987 Mercury Black Max 200 hp.

belray

Cadet
Hello guys, I just signed on to this site and have been reading treads here for a while. I bought my first boat last June. It's a 1987 Baja ski boat with a 200 horse Mercury. The engine runs great but still has the oil injection system in tact and is almost 27 years old. I have read here that it's a dependable system but with a plastic gear, I'm thinking I should block it off for safety reasons and just premix. So. If I decide to block it off, what kit should I use because I just read that I shouldn't just remove it without using the kit. Also, what are the weak links on this engine? I have read about switch boxes, stators, and triggers. I have been an auto technician for 30 years and have bought the Seloc service manual and tools for flywheel removal. I like to prevent problems before they arise. Thanks for any response.

Iceman66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 Mercury Black Max 200 hp.

OEM Mercury Mariner 43453T V6 Oil Block Off Kit

Have done it on my 1987 Black Max 150 ,a mercury mecanic strongly advised me,he has overhauled a lot of these engines,
told me that if I did that the engine can run fore almost ever.
Its a easy job to do it,"plug and play".

If you choose not to remove,be sure you use a fully syntetic oil, the cheap mineral ones has a bad habit to become full of
debris through storage in winter. Doesnt help with the alarm module`s shaft sensor when line is plugged with bad oil.

In the kit there is a long plastic "shaft" that prevents the bushing fore the removed original oil pump drive shaft inside engine to fall out and course internal damage.

As long as the engine runs properly, there is no need to do anything with the Ignition parts, just check the wires and there connections from time to time fore corrosion.

Its great engines,Time to take a choise!

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

You could simply take the discharge from the oil pump and " tee " it into line from the tank to the oil pump.--------Pump will just circulate the oil.------Should you want to sell the motor it can quickly be returned to that oil injection mode !

Dukedog

Captain

You could simply take the discharge from the oil pump and " tee " it into line from the tank to the oil pump.--------Pump will just circulate the oil.------Should you want to sell the motor it can quickly be returned to that oil injection mode !

Don't think that's a good idea. Its not gonna "completely" address tha main failure problem. Tha so called problem gear will still be operational. If it does what some say and disintegrates it will put debris (has a coupla metal parts) in tha motor. If its gonna be turnin' anyway why disable tha oilin' part. If your gonna do it do it right with tha kit. Especially on a motor that age..........jmo

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I have seen several where the teeth on the gears basically melted off / stripped.---It is abundantly clear from popular websites that everybody works to different standards.

Dukedog

Captain

That's why I always "clarify" jmo...................just my opinion.

Last edited:

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

OEM Mercury Mariner 43453T V6 Oil Block Off Kit

Have done it on my 1987 Black Max 150 ,a mercury mecanic strongly advised me,he has overhauled a lot of these engines,
told me that if I did that the engine can run fore almost ever.
Its a easy job to do it,"plug and play".

If you choose not to remove,be sure you use a fully syntetic oil, the cheap mineral ones has a bad habit to become full of
debris through storage in winter. Doesnt help with the alarm module`s shaft sensor when line is plugged with bad oil.

In the kit there is a long plastic "shaft" that prevents the bushing fore the removed original oil pump drive shaft inside engine to fall out and course internal damage.

As long as the engine runs properly, there is no need to do anything with the Ignition parts, just check the wires and there connections from time to time fore corrosion.

Its great engines,Time to take a choise!

Without getting into a pointless and unhappy oil discussion I would say that for a steel sleeve motor I wouldnt use 100% synthetic. Chrome or Nikasil sure but not in a steel sleeve. A good blend or straight dyno will work fine premixed.

Iceman66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Without getting into a pointless and unhappy oil discussion I would say that for a steel sleeve motor I wouldnt use 100% synthetic. Chrome or Nikasil sure but not in a steel sleeve. A good blend or straight dyno will work fine premixed.

Why not a syntetic oil in a steel sleeve engine? Have I missed something?

PS! Nice boat you have.

Last edited:

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Ive talked to several top builders who have documented excessive ring wear in steel sleeve motors run with straight synthetic. That and Mercury doesnt recommend the practice either. I run a synthetic blend and feel fine about it in my steeel sleeve 2.5.

Thank you. Had it a LONG time.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

I suppose they are cast iron but theyre always referred to as steel sleeves. Havent done an assay on the carbon content. In merc V6's you have either steel sleeves ( iron , whatever ) or chrome or Nikasil. Chrome and Nikasil are laid on top of the aluminum bore or liner and seem to work well with full synthetics. I think witht he Nikasil the service life of the rings is so short it doesnt matter what oil you run to be honest.

Dukedog

Captain

Its run in tha nic because tha tolerances are a lot tighter than steel. Cylinder and piston (forged) expansion rates are a lot closer together. Chrome still had cast pistons and similar production motor tolerances so it really isn't all that different than other production motors.........Its probably really not that big a difference but its been said so many, many times, by so many hot rod guys, who seem ta keep their stuff together, it has ta have some merit.............jmo

belray

Cadet

I suppose they are cast iron but theyre always referred to as steel sleeves. Havent done an assay on the carbon content. In merc V6's you have either steel sleeves ( iron , whatever ) or chrome or Nikasil. Chrome and Nikasil are laid on top of the aluminum bore or liner and seem to work well with full synthetics. I think witht he Nikasil the service life of the rings is so short it doesnt matter what oil you run to be honest.

Very nice boat. Looks like the same style as mine but yours looks newer. Did you remove your injection and premix now? What do you guys think of Cabella's semi synthetic blend oil? I have used the Quicksilver brand last summer and it seams to smoke a lot. I'm thinking of changing but don't know about "house" brand oil. Thanks.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Very nice boat. Looks like the same style as mine but yours looks newer. Did you remove your injection and premix now? What do you guys think of Cabella's semi synthetic blend oil? I have used the Quicksilver brand last summer and it seams to smoke a lot. I'm thinking of changing but don't know about "house" brand oil. Thanks.

Thats a 1981 Checkmate. Ive been dragging that boat behind me for 33 years now and its in a constant state of rebuild. I really dont have any problems with oil injection for sub 6000 RPM motors. After that I'm not so comfortable with it. My oil injection is removed as the RPM limiter on my 225 Pro Max ECU is 6750 and I run it up there as often as I can so I run a 40:1 premix.

I run the quicksilver blend. It smokes but that's part of the 2 cycle fun so I don't mind.