1969 65 hp mercury, bring back from the dead.

Zukeeny

Recruit
I have a 1969 65 horse power mercury, that has been sitting for quite awhile not sure how long, it does move when I turn the flywheel, so it isn't frozen up. MY question is can anyone give me some advice on maybe how I should go about trying to get this thing back into shape, and how to go about it without damaging the motor. I have always worked on johnsons before so mercurys are a little new to me. I would appreciate any help at all. It will be a few more months till I get to it, because I live in Michigan and its a little hard to get to things before april around here. All info will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You Zuke

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 65 hp mercury, bring back from the dead.

Chgeck the compression first and if below 100 psi let it rest....

Zukeeny

Recruit

Chgeck the compression first and if below 100 psi let it rest....

Yes, thank you, that pretty much is always the first thing I do, amazingly I have a 40's and a early 50's Johnson and evinrude with about 130-135 in each cylinder. I just am a dumb bell when it comes to mercurys

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Those are a sweet running motor when in good shape.--I would check for spark first.-I would pull the bypass covers ( on starboard side of block ) and inspect rings and pistons.-----Clean the carburetors.------Install new fuel pump kit.-----New impeller if it is going to run for you.---Do you know why it sat for so long ?

Zukeeny

Recruit

Those are a sweet running motor when in good shape.--I would check for spark first.-I would pull the bypass covers ( on starboard side of block ) and inspect rings and pistons.-----Clean the carburetors.------Install new fuel pump kit.-----New impeller if it is going to run for you.---Do you know why it sat for so long ?[/QUOTE

They all sound like very good things to do to the motor, thank you I will do them all, I have only owned it for about 3 years and I can say that one reason it hasn't run while I owned it, I am kinda lazy, and have been working on three other motors during this time, I purchased a aluminum 18ft lonestar last fall, and now I need a motor for it and this one if I can get it to run good, would be just perfect for it. The registration on the boat says 1982, but I think its probably a 1960 era, chrylsar bought lonestar in 1965, so I am not sure about the year. I want to thank all you guys for every idea and advice you give me.

jbjennings

Captain

I'd inspect the 40 year old wiring and consider rewiring it.
JMO,
JBJ