1986 Mercury 90hp Help with Temp Sender / overheat

Imjus4u2nv

Seaman
I am in the process of fixing up my 90hp 1986 mercury Tower of Power, serial # 0A968445, model 1090726.

I had an issue with a cylinder overheating in the past, but still have good compression. I was running it on 5 out of 6 cylinders, but now after replacing switch packs have spark on all 6 cylinders. Before firing it up on all 6, I want to install a water temp gauge and a temp gauge.
I have read all the info here about them and have decided to do both.

I am having an issue finding the part (or a cheap part) for the temperature sender, that would go next to the top spark plug. According to mercury, factory replacement is part #87-96829A1.

Does anyone know what this part does? Is it just an overheat alarm, or can I actually plug it into the temp gauge I ordered (from Faria for $10 bucks https://faria-instruments.com/store/index-mart.php?cat=Water Temperature) and get a temp reading (I understand unless I overheat I will likely not get any temp reading). If it is a temp alarm, what do I hook it up to?

I was also wondering if i had to use part #87-96829A1, which runs for about $150-$300. I have looked up some other senders (thinking these may be for the water temp:
Faria 90401 (https://faria-instruments.com/products.php?calledGauge=4_temp)
Sierra 18-5896 (http://www.iboats.com/Mariner-Temperature-Senders/dm/view_id.270127)

Does anyone know if these will work instead as they are about $20 bucks.

As always any help is greatly appreciated (not sure if helpful but my engine does not have a head gasket, just a water jacket with two 'holes' for sensors).

Last edited:

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1986 Mercury 90hp Help with Temp Sender / overheat

Why don't you get the sender that's available for the gauge you want? The sender number is right under the gauge picture.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

These motors never had any temperature senders or warning system for many , many years.-----If you replace the impeller every 2 years as you should , then temperature gauges are not really required.----A water pressure gauge is very useful and I believe much cheaper too.

Imjus4u2nv

Seaman

Why don't you get the sender that's available for the gauge you want? The sender number is right under the gauge picture.

Thanks for responding, I am pretty sure I need a specific sender to match the motor but i could be wrong, that is why i am trying to figure out what the factory part# i provided did, so i could find the correct replacement.

Last edited:

Imjus4u2nv

Seaman

These motors never had any temperature senders or warning system for many , many years.-----If you replace the impeller every 2 years as you should , then temperature gauges are not really required.----A water pressure gauge is very useful and I believe much cheaper too.
My potential source of overheat appears not to be water pump related, and while I think I fixed the issue, I do not want an overheat from running lien condition.
Thanks for responding, i see now from your response that they did not come with them but there are two holes in my water jacket so I would think I could add aftermarket?
1) One appears to have threads and does not enter the water jacket (right next to the top sparkplug.
2) another hole has a brass fitting in it, I believe if I remove that fitting I will have access directly to the water in the water jacket.
I believe measuring temperature would be best if done from spot 1, as it would measure temp through metal rather then water and probably be more responsive. I need to know if the factory replacement part can be hooked up to a temp guage, or if need to buy a horn/alarm of some sort (and if some which one).

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Your local dealer can assist with the accessories for your motor.

Imjus4u2nv

Seaman

I am hoping someone here can :D