85-86 mercury 35 hp steering system?

dkhuntr25

Recruit
im looking at buying a 85 or 86 35hp motor but the guy doesnt have the cables or anything what system do i need to find that will hook up to this motor? is there a kit with everything or must i find it piece by piecE?

jslu

Seaman
Re: 85-86 mercury 35 hp steering system?

[ is there a kit with everything or must i find it piece by piecE?]

I currently own and have had several of these 35 HP motors from Merc.

You need to look in Craig's List for a "Control Box' complete with throttle and shift cables and a wire harness.

There are at least 3 different versions of this control box that will work for you. I like the Merc Quicksilver the best

Your criteria is this, assuming your motor is electric start??

The cable harness must have a 8 pin circular connector to mate with your engine. take a look at your engine cable connector.

The shift and throttle cables have to move easily and be of proper length for your boat config. Too short abviously no good and too long will work but you'll have to curl the extra cabe somewhere.

Around here (Maine) used control boxes with all hookups sell for $80.00 to $200.00, depending on model and condition.

John

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85-86 mercury 35 hp steering system?

Steering cables are available as a complete kit. It hooks up to the motor tilt tube and back to the motor with a " draglink "