1969 mercury 500 ignition coil

Bjohnson2345

Seaman Apprentice
I was wondering what the trick is in removing the coil wire from the coil without breaking it

bgc

Ensign
Re: 1969 mercury 500 ignition coil

Can you post a pic of the unit?

Bjohnson2345

Seaman Apprentice

Here is a picture of the coil. I know that it screws in to the distributor cap but how do u get it off this end I ended up breaking the wire off on this one down in there don't really know that I can get it out

Doc279

Seaman Apprentice

My 1974 850 looks like that coil and mine just pulled out. The copper metal connectors could be corroded in place? Spray some WD-40 or PB blaster in there and let it still for a while. Maybe use hemostats to clip on and pull the piece out? (medical pliers) not sure of the spelling? LOL

Bjohnson2345

Seaman Apprentice

My 1974 850 looks like that coil and mine just pulled out. The copper metal connectors could be corroded in place? Spray some WD-40 or PB blaster in there and let it still for a while. Maybe use hemostats to clip on and pull the piece out? (medical pliers) not sure of the spelling? LOL

So does it just snap in with a spring type connection?

Doc279

Seaman Apprentice

Mine had no spring. It was just a normal looking wire with a metal clip around the end of the wire to make contact inside the coil.
The wires are threaded into the distributor cap but you already knew that. I can go take a picture if you want of the end of the wire.

bgc

Ensign

Yup, should just pull out. 2nd the penetrating oil.

Bjohnson2345

Seaman Apprentice

Yup, should just pull out. 2nd the penetrating oil.

Ok thx so on another note I have a bigger issue than that.. I put the 1969 together and on the boat the Motor fired up on the first turn of the key and I was supper excited that it ran and then I got to listening to it and there's a huge exhaust leak after investigating I found a hole in the crankcase cover ( that's why I bought it as a parts motor come to find out) the hole is right under carb number 2 there's suppose to be a little tab coming off, but it was broken off at some point anyway my questions are I have the crankcase cover off the 1970 are they the same? and what do I need to know about switching them I know the Manual says to use permatex Does it need a gasket too,and do I need to separate the powerhead from the mid section in order to switch the covers?

bgc

Ensign

The 44ci block changed little over the years. The block is two halves that are sealed together, no gasket. Yes remove the powerhead from the mid, you will need new gasket here. I used LocTite 518 with activator to seal my block.

Bjohnson2345

Seaman Apprentice

The 44ci block changed little over the years. The block is two halves that are sealed together, no gasket. Yes remove the powerhead from the mid, you will need new gasket here. I used LocTite 518 with activator to seal my block.

Do u have a link were I can get a powerhead to midsection gasket

bgc

Ensign

Yup, Take a look at the link under my signature "1963 Merc 500" Lots of pics, sources and info.

This place has lots of New Old Stock,
Outboard Motors, Boat Parts, Marine Engines, Inboard Boat Motor

The folks at Outboard Paradise were a life saver during the restoration. They went beyond to help me find 2.56 pistons with a small pin(old stuff).
Mercury Products - Outboard Paradise

Old Mercs is a great source,
http://store.oldmercs.com/Default.asp

And the folks here are "Crazy" about their Old Mercs….Old being pre 90's to 1930's
http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/phpBB3/index.php

I would recommend the Mercury Service Manual, if you don't already have it, before you open the bock. SERVICE MANUAL

Doc279

Seaman Apprentice

Can the hole be plugged? If it is small just fill it with magnum steel putty from Advance Auto or Auto Zone. Obviously do not push it deep into the hole. It is tough stuff and lots cheaper than a complete tear down on a 1969 model motor.
You mentioned small tab with no picture so I am only imagining what you are looking at?

Cheap method but it will hold. No bashing on me guys - it is just a thought on my part.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

There is a reason / reasons why that hole is there. I would say the motor has to come apart for inspection and repair as needed.

Bjohnson2345

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so I took a pick of the tab I'm talking about (the pick is not of the current motor but my other one)and I'll explain what I think happened so at some point someone did some work on that shift linkage in on the other motor they added a nut to the top of it , well there's not really room for a nut so when they bolted the powerhead back to the midsection I think it broke this tab off, it's not a really thick piece of aluminum in this spot so it was probably pretty easy to break

Bjohnson2345

Seaman Apprentice

Yup, Take a look at the link under my signature "1963 Merc 500" Lots of pics, sources and info.

This place has lots of New Old Stock,
Outboard Motors, Boat Parts, Marine Engines, Inboard Boat Motor

The folks at Outboard Paradise were a life saver during the restoration. They went beyond to help me find 2.56 pistons with a small pin(old stuff).
Mercury Products - Outboard Paradise

Old Mercs is a great source,
http://store.oldmercs.com/Default.asp

And the folks here are "Crazy" about their Old Mercs….Old being pre 90's to 1930's
http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/phpBB3/index.php

I would recommend the Mercury Service Manual, if you don't already have it, before you open the bock. SERVICE MANUAL

I bought a online Manuel right after I got my part motor I just had to download it, i think its an ok one pretty informative I think it's like 550 pages on the computer.... So I tried looking for just the one gasket and could only fine the whole powerhead gasket which has the one I need. Do u know where I can fine just the one gasket or do u think I should spend the 60 buck ls and do all the gaskets while I have the powerhead off? Or do I just leave well enough alone? It would give me a good chance to look all the internals over though! I just don't really know I'm confident that I can do it but mind u I've never worked on outboards before, do I'm new to all this