Mercury 85 to 50hp powerhead swap

bigpond

Recruit
I have a 1977 Mercury 50 hp motor that has a bad powerhead and found a great deal on a 1976 85 hp powerhead but I really don't know if I can swap it with my current 50 hp powerhead. It doesn't have any of the electronics or anything but all of mine are in great shape. My motor serial # 4808418....the 85 hp serial # 4540543. Any help is appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 85 to 50hp powerhead swap

?????-----I really think this will not work. ----For one thing the crankshaft splines are different, plus a few other things.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

In a word... no. VERY different powerheads.

bigpond

Recruit

I figured that, but I thought I would ask to make sure. Thanks for the replies.

Doc279

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 50hp powerhead that I am not going to use. I'll see if I can get a compression test done and give you those numbers. My 50hp has bad wiring and a bad lower gear housing - I bought it for spare parts - have never heard it run. It does turn over and appears to have good compression.

Let me know if you might be interested. Happy New year

bigpond

Recruit

Doc, that is a good option. I plan to tear into mine here in the next couple of weeks. Obviously if the price is right I would definitely be interested. I think mine broke a connecting rod, but not sure how much other damage there may be. Let me know what you are thinking you want for your powerhead.

Doc279

Seaman Apprentice

Will do - I can get compression readings in the next few days for you. I am laid off for the month.
Let me see what I can do. I know that is is a 1973 or 74?

bigpond

Recruit

Doc I just wanted to let you know I found another engine. I tore mine apart and it had a pretty big gouge in the #4 cylinder. I found another complete engine minus the lower end for $100 and couldn't pass that up with all the spare parts. Thanks for the offer though.

Doc279

Seaman Apprentice

It's cool - that is a decent price. With the little bit of snow and the bone chilling cold that we have had I had not been in the garage.
Let me know if you need anything - I have several of these old engines and a really good Mercury service manual for the years.

Good luck with you project!!