Octane Booster

perreau

Cadet
Hi guys,

Is it safe to run octane boosters with my 2 litre 150HP merc? Its a carb motor. The shop sells two types....a normal one and a racing one. Can i go for the racing one? Will i have to adjust timing? What benefits will i see? More knots?

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Octane Booster

A 2 liter 150 HP merc does not need octane booster and you will not help the motor in much of any way by by using it. If you have milled the heads for substantially increased compression it may help but most commercially available octane boosters sold in this country do almost nothing and some do absolutely nothing besides make you feel good. A gallon of straight hardware store toluene in 10 gallons of premium gas will boost your octane from 92 to 93.5 or so at the cost of $14 a gallon.

Adding any octane booster ( or using high octane fuel ) to a motor that doesnt NEED higher octane because it has high compression or substantially increased timing and high compression is a waste of money.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

As posted boosters are not necessary but a fuel treatment like Quikleen is suggested to keep fuel system clean and reduce carbon buildup.

1FASTLASER

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 on post 2 and 4. GOOD quality fuel treatment YES.