1997 135 HP Mariner V-6

sullmate

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been running this engine for the last two seasons on a 50/1 ratio premix( gas/oil.) Three years ago the oil alarm started going off. I had a Merc mechanic check it out and he claimed the oiler gear was at fault and it was working only partially. I never disconnected the oiler. I notice that the 3 gallon oil tank does go down with engine use. Is there a problem not disconnecting the oiler?
I fill up the oil tank as it needs it. I know the engine must be running rich. It smokes on start up but does not smoke when the engine warms up. It runs great and has 375 original hours on it. (I bought this engine new.)
Can I just cut and plug the hose that goes from the oil reserve oil tank to the oil pump?
Please advise.
Sullmate

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1997 135 HP Mariner V-6

So you are running premix and the oiler? Thats a lot of oil. Probably not hurting anything but thats still a lot of oil. I think your Merc mechanic was full of fit if its pumping oil.

If you want to disconnect the oiler its best to pick up the mercury plug kit that has a plastic piece that takes the place of the driver gear. It fills the spot left by the oiler gear and keeps the bushing from falling out. It's like $12 on ebay. Then disconnect the oil hoses and plug the pressure line off the blocks starboard side.

sullmate

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1997 135 HP Mariner V-6

Thanks wired,
The Merc mechanic said he measured the amount of oil that was being pumped by disconnecting the oil line and having it drop into a cup while the engine was running. He was running the engine on premix for this test. He said the amount of oil was below a set amount that should have been pumped for the set amount of time.
I will pick up the plug kit (Crowley Marine)? Not sure what you mean by pressure side "off the blocks starboard side"?