1958 mercury mark 58

steiny

Recruit
Hi Iboaters. I have a 1958 Mercury mark 58, old style (sometimes referred to as a turtle top). I head Radio Shack has a replacement rectifier that replaceses the one that came with the engine when it was new. Could anyone please give me the Radio Shack part number for that rectifier. Thanks Steiny

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: 1958 mercury mark 58

you are looking for a full-bridge rectifier. it is not a direct replacment, however they work. get a 15 amp or larger ask the counter guy for their part number

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

A little editing on Scotts post if I may: Full "Wave" Bridge rectifier. Back in those days Selenium was the "known" semiconductor for rectifiers. They are easily recognized by their large fins, usually square, several of them spaced out from each other. Purpose was to change alternating current to direct current (flip over the neg half cycle of AC keeping it all on one side of zero volts). As years passed silicon became the semi-conductor of choice and you could get a FW bridge rectifier in a little packet. For high current applications it was usually housed in an alum tub with the rectifiers installed with hookup tabs extruding and filled with epoxy. These were bolted to a usually aluminum plate to get the heat out (heatsink) of the packet and into the ambient air. Thermal grease was used as required between the packet and the sink, depending upon the heat transfer needed and available assets for doing that.....ambient air temp, heat sink capability, and heat to dissipate from the rectifiers.

Nothing magic about a rectifier of either sort. You have 2 AC inputs from the stator and 2 outputs (a 4 terminal device): There is a positive lead that goes to the + battery terminal and a negative lead that goes to the - battery terminal. Sometimes there is indirect routing like via the starter solenoid input terminal for the + and the engine block for the -.

Concerns are to get diodes large enough for the charging current of your alternator and heat sinking to keep them cool. Back then a 9 amp alternator was probably tops so the 15 amp minimum Scott recommended sounds good to me. Radio Shack can supply the rectifier and if necessary the heat sink upon which you can mount the Silicon block.

HTH,
Mark

steiny

Recruit

Thanks again guys for the reply. Would that same rectifier work on a 1961/62 mercury 400? Again, Thanks again Steiny

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks again guys for the reply. Would that same rectifier work on a 1961/62 mercury 400? Again, Thanks again Steiny

3 requirements: Reverse voltage breakdown (50v usually adequate for a 12v system); forward current rating.....2x expected current a good margin; adequate cooling via heat sink to keep junction temps below 100*c.

Mark

bgc

Ensign

Gluing it to the back of the original will help keep the "Look" original. Many of the folks at Johnsoldmercury.com have done this.