1984 Mercury Outboard intermittent bogging down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldy17

Recruit
Need some advice. I've read a number of threads and I can't find any that fit my problems so here is mine. The engine bogs down on the hole shot either slow acceleration or fast but it doesn't do it all the time. When it works good it runs like hell, 6k rpm and 60mph. Carbs, coils, fuel pumps? Any help would be appreciated. Did compression tests and all cylinders were at 120lbs cold, within a pound or 2. I have noticed that there is some gas leaking down the front of the engine. Thanks for reading and for your help. It is a 1984 115hp inline 6

Last edited:

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 Mercury Outboard intermittent bogging down.

Check fuel system and clean carbs and check floats needles and seats.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Sounding like its lean on the lower end, open up the air screws a bit at a time and test on the lake. Mercs love a rich mixture. Check the link and synk to.

Last edited:

Baldy17

Recruit

Check fuel system and clean carbs and check floats needles and seats.

Thank you for your response, Im in the process of doing that exact thing, I was just wondering if Im on the right track.

backlashed

Seaman

I had the same come and go problem. Adjusted the floats, no more problem.

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

on my 86 i had a poor hole shot.. i took the covers off and noticed when i hit wot the trigger would stick and slowly advance. I pulled the flywheel and cleaned the whole area.. not saying you should do all that.. atleast make sure your trigger is advancing as fast as your throttle..

Tinker12

Cadet
I'm having the same thing just replaced the fuel diaphragm and cleaned the carbs and all wires look good but my com is like 110 even and a mechanic said that I have low com pistons ???

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm having the same thing just replaced the fuel diaphragm and cleaned the carbs and all wires look good but my com is like 110 even and a mechanic said that I have low com pistons ???

Read the Help Tip and start your own thread. This one is old and inactive. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.