Kill switch working the wrong way round

perreau

Cadet
Guys,

I have a Mercury Quicksilver remote and the kill switch is working the wrong way round. Where can i swap the wires to make it work properly...in the remote or in the engine itself?

Please asisst.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Kill switch working the wrong way round

Guys,

I have a Mercury Quicksilver remote and the kill switch is working the wrong way round. Where can i swap the wires to make it work properly...in the remote or in the engine itself?

Please asisst.

Ayuh,.... What do ya mean, "and the kill switch is working the wrong way round.",..??

The kill switch is either normally open, or normally closed, dependin' on the motor's ignition,....

alldodge

Staff member

Guys,

Please asisst.

On an outboard the kill switch closes when the lanyard is pulled. The switch should be across the two black wires in the ignition switch so when it makes contact between the magneto and ground. If you bought a switch that is designed for a mercruiser I/O it may not work. Some of the replacement kill switches can be installed Normally Open (NO) or Normally Closed (NC). Which switch did you get?

perreau

Cadet

It came with the control which i bought second hand. What im saying is when the switch is in the position where the engine wont start......its in the position where it will secure the lanyard........when i pull out the lanyard...which changes the position of the switch, thats when i can start the engine.....lol

Get me? :)

Bondo

Staff member

It came with the control which i bought second hand. What im saying is when the switch is in the position where the engine wont start......its in the position where it will secure the lanyard........when i pull out the lanyard...which changes the position of the switch, thats when i can start the engine.....lol

Ayuh,... as explained above, it appears to be the Wrong switch,...

Meter it to see whether it's normally open, or normally closed,...
Whichever it is, ya need the opposite,...

backlashed

Seaman

If it's like mine, it is just an off/on toggle switch that the lanyard pulls down on. Sounds to me like it's been assembled upside down. Don't change any wires, just turn the switch over.

perreau

Cadet

Thanks...i will do that....i just did not want to break it by turning the switch over.

backlashed

Seaman

It's been a while since I've had mine open so I don't remember. It might have terminals for NO and NC. If it does, you can just swap wires instead of flipping it.

edit: swap terminals, not wires

Last edited:

perreau

Cadet

Wish me luck..will try this soon. :joyous:

Dukedog

Captain

Check your switch. They're are some that are 2 pole single throw contacts. One N.O. and one N.C.. These are normally used ta shut down an electric fuel pump along with tha motor when tha lanyard is pulled............

alldodge

Staff member

The control may have been used for an I/O, and if so you may need to get another switch

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like one from an I/O...........Replace it with one from an outboard.

jim_s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not trying to resurrect a dead thread, but in case anyone else ends up here due to a search on this issue... I ran into this same problem - purchased used control for my OB, but apparently it had been on an IO, as the switch was 'backward' for my OB - OB ran w/ switch in 'OFF' position, wouldn't run w/ switch in 'RUN' position. I pulled the control off again, removed the switch, and flipped the back side of the switch, then all was good. There at little tab/finger holder things on each side of the switch. Spread those, gently ease the back off - this will expose the 'guts'. Pay attention to which way the back is on to start with, flip it 180 degrees, and gently press it back together - making sure not to disturb the guts. (There's a spring w/ a contact plate on the end - be sure the contact plate doesn't come off of the spring...). Switch now works fine for my OB. Tried it on the OB-specific switch from my old unit (was all sun-beat, so didn't want to use that switch), and got the same reversed result (and was able to put it back to original again, too.) YMMV, but it saved my butt.