1984 Mercury ELPTO what carburetor floats?

little.boat

Seaman
Ok guys yesterday I bought a boat that has a 1984 Elepto 200hp mercury on it. I need to rebuild the carburetors on it. I can't figure out what the part number is for the float. I don't have the manual yet but would really like to go on and get this done can someone help me out? Motor runs great on muffs and idles well but won't run under load unless you choke it. Mechanic told me to rebuild the carbs.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1984 Mercury ELPTO what carburetor floats?

What is the engine s/n?

Gerry

johnandvanessa

Recruit

the serial number is 052330 I think,the last number is corroded away.

I am not sure now that it may not be electrical??? who know, I have made the float level lower and the engine runs with less smoke but only on the bottom cylinder and splutters on the other while it is running.

I am about to swap over the coils and check the points again. I assume the points setting is 20 th.

this engine is driving me crazy.

john

carholme

Rear Admiral

johnandvanessa:

What the hell are you playing at? This is not your thread unless your name used to be little.boat

Gerry

Last edited:

carholme

Rear Admiral

little.boat;

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - (200 H.P. (1984 ))
Serial No: 06538804 Model No: 1200744

The Parts List for model 1200744:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/579.cfm

The service manual you require is P/N: 90-97658--3

Mercury Mariner V 135 V 225HP Service Manual OEM 90 97658 3 | eBay

In the interim, here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual to show you the float settings. Download it soonest to your computer as the link is short lived.

MERCURY - MERCURY V-6 (EXCEPT 300 AND 3.4L).: Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home

Gerry

little.boat

Seaman

Got my service manual ordered today! Thanks for your help Gerry. Also I got the carbs apart and found that after the guy I bought it from cleaned them he didn't put one of the floats back on correctly. It was stuck open. I went on and ordered gasket kit though. Figured might as well rebuild them.

little.boat

Seaman

Got my service manual ordered today! Thanks for your help Gerry. Also I got the carbs apart and found that after the guy I bought it from cleaned them he didn't put one of the floats back on correctly. It was stuck open. I went on and ordered gasket kit though. Figured might as well rebuild them.