Bladder under powerhead, late model mercury OB

pops

Petty Officer 3rd Class
50 HP Merc stopped pumping water after sitting outside in freezing conditions. Local mechanic replaced impeller, said if that did not work, "bladder" under the powerhead may have had water frozen in it, would have to go to Mercury dealer. What is he talking about? I have never heard this word before.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bladder under powerhead, late model mercury OB

Sounds like crap to me. Any idea if he actually did the work of replacing the impeller properly? Did he install the drive key for the impeller?

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, that's a load of bovine manure. There is no such thing as a bladder under the powerhead. All outboards are self draining, so as long as the outboard is stored in "full down" position, there is no chance of freeze damage to any part of the outboard. And, unless the outboard was actually frozen in the water, there is no chance of freezing damaging the water pump. Ask your tech to show you this "bladder" on a parts diagram.

Crappie 1

Recruit

Yep, that's a load of bovine manure. There is no such thing as a bladder under the powerhead. All outboards are self draining, so as long as the outboard is stored in "full down" position, there is no chance of freeze damage to any part of the outboard. And, unless the outboard was actually frozen in the water, there is no chance of freezing damaging the water pump. Ask your tech to show you this "bladder" on a parts diagram.
I was just told the same thing at a dealership. They installed a new impeller and then said if that doesn't work you'll need to get to the bladder under the power head. I'm 68 years old and have been around boats, and owned many, for over 60 of those years. I never heard of any bladder thing? I'm glad I checked out this forum. Dealer said he could fix it but it would be expensive. Told me mine had froze up and that was likely the problem, sure glad I didn't let him. Thanks for having the right answer for me.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

so it is a "Bladder" conspiracy? What is this world coming to?

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if this "bladder" thingy is related to a muffler bearing or a kanuter valve?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

My bladder is south of the engine room, and I to have to drain it a few times a day. More when drinking barley pop.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

so it is a "Bladder" conspiracy? What is this world coming to?

Maybe Flomax is trying to expand it's market penetration. Usually impellers and poor peeing are in the same post, so it makes sense. :rolleyes:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, I thought "Flomax" was a result of attending a beer bash in Ohio on the 70's when we were only allowed 3.2% beer. Gee, that was a bad memory...