no water out of tell tale. 93 Mercury 15hp

kmase79

Cadet
Hey guys! Thanks to this website I was able to figure out what parts and info I needed to rebuild the carburetor for this motor and is runs now so I am headed in the right direction. Now it runs and no water out of the tell tale. I don't want to burn it up so just looking for suggestions. The little plastic screen over the water inlet is broken so I was thinking that it was possible something got sucked up in there. a friend of mine said push weed wacker line through to see if it frees up. and suggestions. need to get back to fishing thanks _kyle

James R

Commander
Re: no water out of tell tale. 93 Mercury 15hp

Your friend is correct. Poke while the motor is running and it should clear. If not then you may have the water pump tube not located correctly, the impeller gone bad or not fitted correctly or a blocked intake.

Last edited:

kmase79

Cadet

poke though the water inlet which is right above the propeller? or though the tell tale hose? I cleared the hose to the thermostat(tell tale hose) it is clear.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

poke though the water inlet which is right above the propeller? or though the tell tale hose? I cleared the hose to the thermostat(tell tale hose) it is clear.

When was the last time you replaced your water pump impeller? It should be done every other year.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

And it may be that the thermostat isn't open yet, it takes a bit before it opens and you get flow out the pea stream. But if you don't know the age of the impeller, then its time to change it

Last edited:

kmase79

Cadet

After i rebuilt carb and started er up for a min i could see she was hetting hot but wouldnt bee. If it was the thermostat it would still pee would it not?

kmase79

Cadet

Im thinking its the impeller also the lines are free.
But she wont pee lol...it was serviced 10 yrs ago
By someone who dint know what they were doing
They reassembled the carb wrong. The person supposed
Replaced the impeller bc it got fishing line up in the or something
Im going to take the lower unit apart today and give her a look.ill let you all know
Thank you so much for the help all! Missin fishin in fla.... Kyle

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

If its like mine it takes around 1 minute or so of running time before the motor heats enough to open the thermostat and lets water circulate and sends water out to the pea stream. You can hold your hand on the top of the cylinder block and it will get very warm to the touch before it starts to pea.

But yes it is a very good idea to replace the impeller, the rubber will take a set and not pump or worst case it throws off chunks that block the water passages. Them your really screwed.

Last edited:

kmase79

Cadet

Hello everyone!! I blew compressed air lightly through the pee hole and I could feel it coming out the inlet. Also a couple small pieces of plastic came out the inlet and I got all excited and started it up. Same deal :confused: im sure my water ways are not obstructed totally and I know I had it running long enough to warm up. I didn't have any time this evening to take the lower unit off and look bc I had other chores to do but tomorrow is looking like a better day!! -kyle

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have no idea if you have an even similar style impeller to mine which is a 115hp merc. But when i got my boat we started it up with muffs before i bought it and had no water from tell tale hole. so i knew i was into the impeller.

i took it apart and looked at it and in my setup the housing and impeller are replaceable. The housing had a steel insert which got hot and melted the plastic a little and started spinning with the impeller. So i wouldn't have know that until it was taken apart (im not even sure it would have pumped water). After i replaced everything reinstalled it and ran it i was still getting nothing from the tell tale.

Fearing the worst i started checking all the obvious stuff and found the tell tale plugged with a sand mite nest or some sort of dirt carrying insect. After i got her all working good i was thinking back and thought if i saw water coming out of the tell tale i likely wouldn't have worried about the impeller till i ran on the lake to see how it worked and could have burnt the motor up.

So i guess little signs can mean BIG warnings. For the cost of the impeller and housing if yours is like that and the fact you don't know if it was right or ever done and just piece of mind i would change it in a heart beat. then you know its been done just my opinion

kmase79

Cadet

thanks banshee, bottom line wether it was worked on properly or not for my own satisfaction and so I can get to know my motor a little better, its due for service so I am going to take her apart and find out what all is going on so wish me luck. thanks -Kyle

kmase79

Cadet

DUH DUH gee George why wont my motor pee??? LOL I feel stupid. thanks for all the support though everyone.

Attachments

• CAM00239.jpg
    CAM00239.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

now i bet you feel a whole lot better ehh lol

kmase79

Cadet

yes I feel a lot better but now im wondering how long it been like that and what damage has occurred as a result

kmase79

Cadet

the motor was given me by my father and he used it a couplke times recently. but last time I went out it quit on me.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Well at the moment your are extremely lucky, it looks like all of the blades are accounted for, If one of those had gotten sucked up into the block you may of had to dissemble the block to remove it.
Impellers are rated at 300 hours and your suposto replace them ever year.

Last edited:

kmase79

Cadet

yes it started back up... after I rebuilt the carburetor. I haven't used it since I rebuilt the carb last week im just making sure everything is in order before I go back out. Plus I want to be familiar with my motor because paying someone can get expensive....why not save the money for bait or something

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Well at the moment your are extremely lucky, it looks like all of the blades are accounted for, If one of those had gotten sucked up into the block you may of had to dissemble the block to remove it.
Impellers are rated at 300 hours and your suposto replace them ever year.

They also must be replaced every other year even if you don't use the motor.

kmase79

Cadet

well id say this impeller here is due to be changed lol