Mercury 80 water pump change

propwasher

Recruit
Okay so I have the pump repaired and all I have to do is slide it back into the housing! But there is one inch that keeps me from bolting it all together. I started with gear shft in fwd. So do I spin the prop or flywheel to get the spline to slip in? How many rotations does it ake to do this?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 80 water pump change

You will have trouble aligning the shift shaft, if you reinstall the motor in forward. Turn the shift shaft CCW until it stops. Now use a cresent wrench to gently coax it CCW into neutral. Now set control to neutral. Tilt motor all the way up and lock it. Grease both splines. Is black plastic shift shaft block in place in the midsection? It should be.

Shove driveshaft into midsection until it stops. Now turn flywheel and push on gearcase. A small amount of turn will align the splines on the crankshaft and the driveshaft. Observe upper and lower shiftshaft. Use fingers or needlenose plier to align them. Now wiggle gearcase into position. It will be helpful to install a nut or two and using finger pressure only, wiggle and tighten nuts as you get the gearcase seated. Now tighten nuts, and install hidden bolt.

propwasher

Recruit

You will have trouble aligning the shift shaft, if you reinstall the motor in forward. Turn the shift shaft CCW until it stops. Now use a cresent wrench to gently coax it CCW into neutral. Now set control to neutral. Tilt motor all the way up and lock it. Grease both splines. Is black plastic shift shaft block in place in the midsection? It should be.

Shove driveshaft into midsection until it stops. Now turn flywheel and push on gearcase. A small amount of turn will align the splines on the crankshaft and the driveshaft. Observe upper and lower shiftshaft. Use fingers or needlenose plier to align them. Now wiggle gearcase into position. It will be helpful to install a nut or two and using finger pressure only, wiggle and tighten nuts as you get the gearcase seated. Now tighten nuts, and install hidden bolt.

When you say CCW are you looking from top down ?
This is my first post so trying to figure out how to reply on this format.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Yes, Turn the shift shaft CCW as viewed from above...

propwasher

Recruit

Got it back together but wont come out of drive, no reverse? Pumping water but seems to not shift right