90 hp mercury outboard on 2005 sun tracker

rhanning

Recruit
I have an alarm that immediately comes in when I turn the ignition key to on. Any ideas on what the alarm may be sounding for?

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: 90 hp mercury outboard on 2005 sun tracker

Need more info. What kind of alarm? Mine sounds for a few seconds when I turn the key on. This is normal. Is yours different?

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

A single beep when the key is turned to the on position is normal, just the guardian system letting you know that it is functioning normally. Anything else, including no alarm- you got a problem.

rhanning

Recruit

Need more info. What kind of alarm? Mine sounds for a few seconds when I turn the key on. This is normal. Is yours different?

yes, it comes on when the key is turned on but will not go off even after the engine is running. The alarm is a small item about the size of a quarter in diameter.
What is it connected to and why would it stay on longer than just the few seconds? Would the alarm be bad or possibly the switch?
the boats starts just fine.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Under the oil tank you should find two blue wires coming from the oil level switch, unplug either one. If this stops the horn then you need a new oil tank assy as you cannot repair the float inside. The adhesive holding the magnet to the bottom of the float has failed, allowing the magnet to fall onto the switch, triggering the alarm as if low on oil.