Need help finding Mercury 110 Kiekhaefer year? Has no serial number!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsweber82

Cadet
Hey Everyone,

I am new to this forum and just bought a 14ft Alumacraft jon w/Mercury 110 outboard. The guy I bought this from told me the motor is a late 80's model 9.8HP but after the research I have done and pics I have seen it looks more like an early 70's model. I am trying to find the exact, or closest possible year of this motor so I can order the service manual and correct parts as needed. The problem is, the serial number is completely missing and actually looks like it was removed on purpose(which is concerning). Is there another way I can find the year, or even narrow down the possible year range? Do the parts and manuals differ greatly over the years or would I be safe buying one for the wrong year? If I post some pics inside and out could you tell by looking at it? Sorry for all the questions but I am very new to outboards and would like to learn as much as possible about maintenance, operation, etc soon. What I can tell you is the cowl cover is black with a chrome plate on the front which reads Thunderbolt ignition, has a chrome strip around it with Mercury in blue writing, says "Kiekhaefer" in a couple different spots, it is a 2 cylinder, 2 stroke pull start, has a "flush" screw on the lower unit, 2 fin prop, does not say 9.8 anywhere on it and from what I can tell does not have the gearcase screws for gear lube. I don't know if any of this helps but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason:confused:

jsweber82

Cadet
Re: Need help finding Mercury 110 Kiekhaefer year? Has no serial number!

Gerry, Thanks a ton! This was very helpful. It looks like from the decals, I have a 1972! Thanks again

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are 2 alternate serial# locations- one is on an ID disc, which is embedded in the side of the cylinder block (looks like a 1 inch aluminium welsh plug

carholme

Rear Admiral

Jim;

I understood that those plugs were not in use until much later than 1972.

Gerry

Richard Novak

Recruit
Need to identify what year this motor is they (previous owner)
1972 ford 5.0 c..ĺ
The kiekhaefer number is
3385479 .
Looking for a fuel pump.

Went to auto zone they couldn't find one.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Richard Novak
1972 SlickCraft SS 195
NOT ORIGINAL MOTOR

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Need to identify what year this motor is they (previous owner)
1972 ford 5.0 c..ĺ
The kiekhaefer number is
3385479 .
Looking for a fuel pump.

Went to auto zone they couldn't find one.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Richard Novak
1972 SlickCraft SS 195
NOT ORIGINAL MOTOR

Doubtful AZ has a marine fuel pump.

Start your own thread instead tagging onto an old outboard thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.