1995 150 hp Mercury missing and bogging down at wot.

skullbone30

Recruit
I have a 1995 mercury that starts missing and will bog down to almost a stop after running wot for a couple miles. It has been in 2 shops and both diagnosed it to be not firing on number 5 cylinder. "First guy replaced power pack with used one. When I picked it up ran the same. Took to another shop they replaced power pack with new one and fuel pump diaphragm. When I picked up ran the same(after they lake tested). Returned it they tested more and changed plugs. I picked up tried it ran the same. returned it. After a week I was told to come get it they couldn't fix it till it got worse. I myself have changed plugs, fuel filter, fuel line, bulb, voltage regulators, number 5 coil, drained gas and put new in, and run quickclean in it. Another shop will look at it in 3 weeks put after talking to them on the phone they don't sound promising. Any ideas or things I can test would be appreciated. I'm pretty good mechanic on cars and thing but don't know much about outboards. Thanks in advance. Also it is an efi motor.

Last edited:

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1995 Mercury missing and bogging down at wot.

A 1995 EFI but what hp and engine s/n?

Gerry

skullbone30

Recruit

Sorry it is a 150hp. The serial number is og145782.

Re: 1995 150 hp Mercury missing and bogging down at wot.

You need the factory shop manual. There's a lot of trouble shooting for EFI.

carholme

Rear Admiral

skullbone;

I apologize for not picking this up quicker.

That s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - (150EFI H.P. (1995 ))
Serial No: 0G145782 Model No: 1150413RD

Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 0G145782:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

The service manual you require is P/N: 90-824052R3

If you send me a PM with an email address, I can show you where to get one.

Gerry

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Stator needs to be checked out with a peak voltage adapter and ohm meter.....throwing parts at these motors gets expensive... Did anyone do a compression check and leak down on that cylinder?.The OEM manual will have all of the electrical tests you need to perform to get to the root problem....There are many marine shops that have in experienced mechanics working there.. I sold Mac Tools for 8 years and would have let one shop our of 9 work on my outboard if that tells you anything....once you find a good mechanic/shop stick with the guy where ever he goes.. If you have the tools and understandings, it can be very rewarding once you figure out the problem..Look at the numerous posts on all brands of outboards and you will see they all have challenges of some sort....It is spending the time to understand and not just throwing parts at them or you will go broke...Good Luck

skullbone30

Recruit

Just to let everyone know after lots of reading, watching videos, and checking it turned out to be the trigger bad. The voltage was 1.5 volts low but the big sign was when I checked timing with timing light and it was randomly firing on number six and some times would fire number 5 when it fired number six. After I took trigger off you could see wire basically broken in to from where it had been moving during advance. Hope this helps some one else out.