Mercury 80 hp running rough

Dia75

Cadet
I have a mercury 800 80hp engine, that previously was in major need of a little TLC as it sat for about 7 years, I have only owned this boat for a short time and after replacing numerous parts... impeller, spark plugs, trigger, stator, fuel lines (now with inline filter), fuel pump kit, carbys rebuilt/blown out with compressor and new gaskets, new engine harness, starting solenoid, battery, fuel line from tank to engine and fresh fuel. It now runs, idles and I guess sort of drivable, no timing has been adjusted only the fuel mixture. Initially the idle mixture was set the about 1.5 to 2 turns ccw from seating position, after first test driving it did operated at WOT and hummed along as it should, I was rather impressed but after 20 mins use it started to run rough, when throttle applied it stammers to WOT, but can be driven at certain positions on throttle but not as smooth operating as the first 20 mins of operation. If I apply the choke button obviously dumping more fuel in it, it does improve power. I have readjusted the fuel mixture to make it run rich.
It starts, idles and goes into gear and drives, again it did operate at WOT and planed but something is a miss.

Where should I start fault finding.. carbys? ignition? or could this now be internal? so far I have not delved to much into the mechanical side just parts that were in need of replacing due to visible deterioration.

Dia75

Cadet
Re: Mercury 80 hp running rough

Also when selecting reverse should it clunk into gear as it does going into Forward gear, or make a clicking noise before it goes into reverse?

bgc

Ensign

What year is your 800?

There are many reasons that will cause her to run like this but you might find its the synchronization and carb adjustments.
I would highly recommend an owners manual, it will help you immensely.

For most carbs, the initial setting for the idle screw will be 7/8 of a turn from "lightly seated". The final adjustment is made, running on the boat, in the water under load(lashed to the dock). You want to find the "area", in the adjustment range, where she has a relatively smooth idle and stop on the higher side of that "area". Your plugs will tell you if shes running too rich after and extended period of idling.
There is a specific procedure known as a link-n-sync that is done after getting her idling well.

When shifting you want her to "clunk" not click.....

Dia75

Cadet

I believe it to be a 1979 model.. Australia models and years are a little different from the US but the serial is 8054064. I will take it out next cpl of days and test it as you mentioned under load, and read up on the manual as I found one online, the throttle controls are sticky sometimes has trouble engaging gears.. sometimes it engages smoothly and clunks, but selecting reverse sometimes it clicks then clunks.. could the cables need replacing? removed cleaned and regreased as it sat for so many years.. I havent much knowledge from previous owner on what maintenance/history on this boat, when I started working on this engine it didnt run (major electrical components have since been replaced) nor have gears.. only after replacing impellor.. so im assuming the bottom leg wasnt installed correctly would the selector tube (tube from engine to gearbox selector shaft) be damaged? or miss aligned?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Dia75, It sounds like a service manual would help you. Normally Merc Carbs are set to 1-1/2 turns open from lightly seated. A '79 Merc 800 would have 4 coils and no distributor. If that is what you have, look for the Merc Link and Synch stick on this site and confirm idle pickup and max spark advance settings.

After those are set, the carbs are clean, she should run fine. About the gearcase synch...if the motor is in neutral when the throttle handle is in neutral, and the shift slider is in the center of it's travel, the synch is likely fine.

bgc

Ensign

Look at how the cables are run, you dont want any tight bends in them. If they have smooth curves and stick, replace them.

Dia75

Cadet

Well.. what can I say.. the issue was loose spark plugs! heh, I remember asking my oldest who was helping at the time to put them back in.. but i guess i forgot to tighten them up >.<.. o well , link and synch done.. timing was perfect.. runs just as it should now.. also due to the idle being lower engages reverse as it should. re ran the cables as at some point they were just installed and hanging.. all wiring and cables are now hidden again. For now the boat is covered and waiting for next chance of a fishing trip which shouldnt be to far away! thanks all for your advice.. if anyone wants me to post the link and synch steps which I found ill do so :D