1989 Mercury 9.9 outboard with tiller

steelcity

Cadet
I just bought a 9.9 used Mercury outboard with tiller, and it steers way to easy, my old one was kind of stiff, this one even during transport when its up wants to go left or right instantly...

I haven't had any luck finding an adjustment to tighten up...?

Anyone know if there is a adjustment..?

Thanks

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Mercury 9.9 outboard with tiller

Yep, there should be a little lever between the lower cowl and the swivel bracket, push it to port for more steering tension. It's part# 28 on this diagram:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - SWIVEL BRACKET - 6/8/SAILMATE 9.9/SAILPOWER 15 H.P.

Sometimes, the tension washers wear out and the control does not add enough tension, then you will have to remove the nylock nut and lever, and reposition the lever to increase tension.

steelcity

Cadet

Yep, there should be a little lever between the lower cowl and the swivel bracket, push it to port for more steering tension. It's part# 28 on this diagram:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - SWIVEL BRACKET - 6/8/SAILMATE 9.9/SAILPOWER 15 H.P.

Sometimes, the tension washers wear out and the control does not add enough tension, then you will have to remove the nylock nut and lever, and reposition the lever to increase tension.

Thanks Alot Bilge....exactly what I was looking for..... :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Also, part #24 has a tendency to break for some reason.