Not sure on the year mercury 40hp

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys!

Just picked up a charmer, 16 ft StarCraft with an unknown mercury 40hp. The serial number is 3407902. I looked it up on a few sites but they all came back as not recognized. My main goal right now is to get the model number for impeller replacement kits. I'll post pics next

thanks in advance,

Jason

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Not sure on the year mercury 40hp

The 402 is a good motor, I ran one for several years.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the info, good to hear it is a good motor! Last question. How do I get the top off? I have a couple things to tinker with and don't want to screw up anything.

jonnyreb1968

Recruit

I have a 1997 merc 40 hp 2 stroke amd need to know where exactly to hook the os and neg cables from the battery. Anu help would be nice.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1997 merc 40 hp 2 stroke amd need to know where exactly to hook the os and neg cables from the battery. Anu help would be nice.

You should have an electrical harness that plugs into the motor.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

the cowl comes off in sections
it starts with the badge cover in the front it has a release at the bottom, then a wrap around cover then the top,

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class

Motors off the boat put in on a stand and from a new angle found the bolts to get the top off. All-in-all a clean motor. new starter and coils. I have to replace a few wires and that's about it under the hood.

pulled the LU off...I have never had a LU com off that easy in my life! new pump assembly just needs an impeller.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Johnyreb1968; You should have started a new thread for your question. The + battery cable should go to a post on the solenoid and the Neg. cable to a bolt on the starter mounting bracket on most motors. JMO

Anderson8623; Good that your getting things fixed as needed. The 402 are good motors and will last for some time as long as the maintance is done and they are taken care of. The fuel lines might need some repair if they have not been replaced as will the carb. The ethanol fuel tends to mess up the old rubber lines, fuel pumps, and carb rubber gaskets when used. JMO
Oldman570

Last edited: