1980 mercury 115 hp outboard jet question

robert4488

Recruit
Not sure if this were I should post this. I was hoping someone on here could help me.
OK here it is, this only seems to happen after I use revers and then start going forward.What going is I start out going fine then as I give it more throttle just about to come up on plan the motor will try to jump in the boat with me and slam back down and die. most of the time it will do this once or twice and start working right, butt this last time out I could not get it to stop.
I was running in about ten feet of water so I was not hitting bottom. the only thing I can think is that the gate is not staying back and causing it to jump into revers, but everything is set to forward.
This is my first jet of any kind, I do not know what I need to look for.

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 mercury 115 hp outboard jet question

So the whole motor is slamming up? like the tilt isnt holding and its hinged free?

Make sure all the cable adjustments are correct with the gate.. neut it should be in the middle of the rocker.. forward it should be tucked up under the volute and rev should be up all the way. In no position should there be any free movement of the gate.

for more information try..

objet

Theyll have specific info on your jetfoot..

You have the G series same as mine..

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

It sounds like the motor rises up when in reverse and sticks there, even under low forward thrust. When you give it more throttle in forward, it slams back into the normal position. That make sense?

robert4488

Recruit

OK. here is what is going on. it is not doing this in reverse it is doing it in forward when the motor should be pushing the boat, I can see and understand how and why it would happen in reverse, but this going on in forward,it will run fine at low speed but when I give it more throttle to bring it up on plane the motor will literally come out of the water and slam up and then go back down. I have did some adjusting on the gate and took some slop out of it. I have not had a chance to take it out yet after that.

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd think theres more going on than just the gate. Your TNT shouldn't allow it to budge freely as you are describing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If you do not have TNT, and the motor is free to tilt in forward, maybe the motor is stalling, hiccupping, hesitating for a moment, causing it to tilt. When she starts running again she will slam down....

robert4488

Recruit

I am sorry, but I do not know what tnt is or stands for, but if it is for the power tilt there is nun. This is my first jet of any kind, it is a tiller run motor, from what I can tell it has been striped down to the bare bone. The motor runs like a top, easy to start, goes grate. It is on a 18 foot sled, all and all a good setup. I just don't like having the motor jump up into my lap.

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

So the tnt (Tilt n Trim) is completely off?

Did you figure out the gate setting yet?

Theres no way that should be jumping on you if it is locked in fwd place...

robert4488

Recruit

Yes! the tilt and trim is gone. best I can tell. There are two shock,s on each side,and I think the tilt adjustment, a rod that can go through a number of holes, there are two hooks that hook over the rod. no pump no trim motor nothing else.
I took some slop out of the gate with adjusting the rod on the side of pump. the guy I bout it from had and told me to keep it on, a bungee rapped around the forward reverse lever on the tiller to keep from going into reverse when going forward.