1986 Mercury throttle linkage

haus9393

Recruit
This is a 1986 20hp tiller model outboard. Last week I had this part on the throttle link slip off. I looked around online why and it looks like a C clip came off the end of the round bar sticking out perpendicular to the cylinders. There are 2 plastic pieces with a spring in-between the 2 that is supposed to be compressed all together and the 2 plastic pieces flush together on the round bar. Like a moron I took the spring completely out off the bar and out of the pieces. I put it back together as it was but now it doesnt work correctly. When I put all the pieces back on the bar the spring bends out and wont stay inside the plastic pieces. When its just sitting there as shown in my first 2 pics the spring is normal, then in the 3rd pic I put it all back on and you can tell the spring wont fit. I just went to the store and bought some new c clips so now once I can get this mechanism all back on flush I should be fine. Just looking for some help from anyone who knows these motors or has one like this.throttle 1.jpgthrottle 2.jpgthrottle 3.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1986 Mercury throttle linkage

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Is the pin anchored,..??

Can ya push the pin outward from behind,..??