2005 mercury 9.9 oil filter and lower unit 4 stroke

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
where do i get a oil filter for this motor? no numbers on the filter, and cannot find a reference on the parts list.

how are these little lower units? compared to the omc, its like tiny! almost 1/3 less in size. are the lowers reliable?

motor is made in japan, is this a yammie or tohatsu? i know its close to the time that they swicthed.

thanks
dino

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2005 mercury 9.9 oil filter and lower unit 4 stroke

Your Mercury Dealer or even Iboats for that matter. Tohatsu makes it. The non bigfoot model has small needle bearings at the shaft end that takes the load to drive the main drive gear, weak by my standards so take good care of the lu oil for sure. engine is quite good but carb idle circuit gumms up if you leave fuel in it for any time at all. 1.3 gallon of fuel consumption at WOT makes it a very thrifty motor to run!!!! Good luck!

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2005 mercury 9.9 oil filter and lower unit 4 stroke

Your Mercury Dealer or even Iboats for that matter. Tohatsu makes it. The non bigfoot model has small needle bearings at the shaft end that takes the load to drive the main drive gear, weak by my standards so take good care of the lu oil for sure. engine is quite good but carb idle circuit gumms up if you leave fuel in it for any time at all. 1.3 gallon of fuel consumption at WOT makes it a very thrifty motor to run!!!! Good luck!

thanks for the reply. omg that lower unit looks so small. its like the size of a omc 6 hp.