1987 Mercury 90 hp

mgsolakis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone who has experience with the Mercury 90 hp made between 87-93 can give me an idea of the quality of this engine. It's a 3 cyl engine. I'm kinda comparing this with the classic inline 6 cyl engine pre 1987. What is a better engine? Is the 87' any good?

Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1987 Mercury 90 hp

JBjr had a '99 3 cyl 90hp Merc that couldn't decide when to switch from 2 to 3 cylinders.:facepalm:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone who has experience with the Mercury 90 hp made between 87-93 can give me an idea of the quality of this engine. It's a 3 cyl engine. I'm kinda comparing this with the classic inline 6 cyl engine pre 1987. What is a better engine? Is the 87' any good?

Thanks

The 3 cylinder 90 is a great engine. The only thing everybody who owns one says it they have a crappy idle, quite rough and sounds like it's missing, but that's how they are.... The old in-line 6 had an inherent problem of design with the inner exhaust water jacket cover. It always leaked over time, and is a right royal PITA to re-seal. The 3 cyl is a 'looper' engine, hence the crappy idle, but is far better on fuel than any of the in-line 6s ever were... If you're about to buy one, I would do all the exhaust and head cover gaskets and the top and bottom crank seals as a matter of course when I buy it. But I'd be doing that on ANY outboard I bought that is more than about 5 years old....

Like all machines, maintain it, look after it and it will perform well for you.

JBjr had a '99 3 cyl 90hp Merc that couldn't decide when to switch from 2 to 3 cylinders.:facepalm:

That's a problem that needed to be fixed... ;)

HTH,

Chris........

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The 87-93 are the small bore 71ci motors and idle is not the smoothest, the 94-05 are the big bore 84.6 ci motors and idle is improved and both are good motors for small hulls and toons