1980 50hp mercury won't gain speed.

BURNSY23

Seaman
Good day everyone,

I have had nothing but issues since buying this 50hp merc this summer. I have solved all the minor issues and have done the usual stuff like check compression (which is great), checked spark (which is great), removed and cleaned and added new carb kits in both carbs, cleaned fuel filter etc...
The main problem still persicts... when I start the motor it wants to dye before coming to a nice low idle. Sometimes however it will continue idleing and allow me to shift into forward. While cruising away from the dock slowly works fine, that is all the speed I can get. When I give it throttle nothing happens. It wont rev up and it wont gather any speed. All it does is putt. Only 1 day it ran beautiful...it was fast and had full speed. prior to this day and everytime since that day it again will not go. Squeezing the primer bulb does not help. Acualy when throttling wide open the motor will cut out and die sometimes.

If someone, or several of you kind folks could give some advice as too what I should try or what I can do to correct this no speed issue I would be very thankful.

Kind Regards,

Curtis

Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1980 50hp mercury won't gain speed.

Have you checked the throttle travel?

BURNSY23

Seaman

Hi JB ,
Thanks for the idea. May you please explain how to check the throttle travel and any other ideas you might have. Thanks very much.

Kind Regards,

Curtis

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Observe throttle linkage and throttle plates while opening throttle. At WOT throttle plates should be horizontal.