mercury 90 force trouble starting the engine

iulian

Cadet
I?m new owner on my boat, Thanks guys for your reply, so helpfully,
I was 3 times on the lake with my boat this fall and 2 times the engine has not start.
First time was ok because it was just to the water edge, but the second time somebody bring us on the ground.
The second time I have tried many times to start (battery is new on the boat) but nothing.
And the gas smell was so powerful, I was looking inside of the shell and some water there was mixed with gas. Every 5 minutes I removed the engine from water to verify if the spurk plugs have fire,or the spurt plugs are humide with the gas, After me the gas from inside engine pouring out or something the same.the fire was there and the gas also.
Second day , in the morning I tried again to start and ?1/4 turn the key and engine start.
When I bought the boat (beginning of September), the battery was death, I changed and I put the cable red to + and the big black to (-) but was some black wires who I putted on red also, For this reason I have to change the starter (it was my mistake), but I don?t know if something else is wrong,I have to verify something else also,Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury 90 force trouble starting the engine

The engine apparently has some mechanical issues and it may be you are not using the correct starting procedure.
1) Gas should never drip or squirt out of the engine. The carburetor(s) apparently need repair.
2) The engine cannot run correctly with bad carburetors.
3) You can have a fire with gas dripping or running out of the engine.

Starting a cold engine requires use of the choke and fast idle features. Starting a warm engine generally doesn't require choke, but use of fast idle is recommended.

COLD ENGINE:
1) Squeeze the primer bulb until firm. (Assumes you have repaired the carburetors. Leaking carbs or fuel system will prevent the primer bulb from getting firm)
2) Raise the fast idle lever about 1/3.
3) Turn the key to START while pushing IN on the key. Pushing in on the key is what activates the choke/primer system.
4) When the engine fires, release the key. It may be necessary to push the key in momentarily a time or two during initial warm up until the engine stays running.
5) Lower the fast idle lever to a comfortable idle until the engine is fully warmed up.
6) Lower the fast idle lever all the way and then go boating.
WARNING: DO NOT try to move the throttle/shift lever when the fast idle lever is raised. You can damage the control box.

WARM ENGINE:
1) Raise fast idle lever.
2) Turn the key to start.
3) Lower the fast idle lever fully.
4) Go boating.

iulian

Cadet

thanks,
so for the cold engine we have to push the key and for the warm engine don't?
but how it's posible to start somethimes so easy and sometimes no, the first time engine was cold, the second time engine was warm...
after that I try so many times to start the engine and engine start very well.

Last edited:

alfa

Seaman Apprentice

Hi - the list of Silvertip is the way to go about starting that motor. But that works if all is in good shape.
My hunch is your carbs... I had a 85hp Force (and by the way - you should look in the Force section, not Mercury) and carbs are easily messed up by bad fuel.
1. Did you run the motor before you bought it? You say battery was dead so you didn't test the motor at all? Was it one of those things where the guy swore the motor was great it just needs a battery charge and you paid and drove?
2. Chances are there was bad gas in the tank - maybe boat was seating for a while and that's all it takes. You mixed some fresh gas in but the crap has now traveled and is clogging your carbs.

- I'd say take the airbox off... loosen the linkage from the carbs and take them out. Give them a good cleaning with carb cleaner and replace the gaskets. If you have fuel dripping when you pump the bulb, I'm thinking you have bad gaskets or loose bowls on carbs. Put them back and hook everything up...torque based on specs not "nice and tight." Replace plugs - they may be funked up by now. once you've done this, get a 6gal red tank and get some fresh gas in it and some good 2stroke oil (quicksilver) and mix a fresh batch. Connect that tank to the motor not the gas tank originally on the boat.

Priming with the bulb should take a couple of squeezes and than the bulb gets hard and uneasy to pump. You shouldn't see any fuel leaking anywhere...
Then start based on Silvertip steps... it should run. You may still need to adjust the carbs...cannot explain that here, but plenty of posts on the proper forum about that. If more problems, than I'd look at timing.

GET A MANUAL - possibly the factory service manual, but even Seloc from Walmart or so would give you a hand. Welcome to Force!
Good luck

iulian

Cadet

I run the boat with the last owner, but he charge the battery, (he told me the battery is death). I run the boat one more times before that, everything was ok, when I bought the boat the tanks was almost empty, I put new gas inside, the tank was full, battery new, spark plug new, last time I changed the gas filter also (from Canadia tire)

iulian

Cadet
o my god, after this winter time my boat start very well,1/4 turn of key, today I was trying to start again, , everuthing ok, after few minutes with the water conected to my lower unit I stop the engine, 2 m inute by after ... don't start, I don't know what I have to do, last week I leave the boat to mechanic close to my home , they verify everithing and they told me everithing it's ok,
I thing I don't khow how to star nmy boat,when it's cold I push the key and turn on right side, this is ok,
when it's worm I put the level 30% on front side, and I push the key and turn on right side.. the engine doen't start, I have sparkplugs , wires voltage regulator, batery all new.can somebody help me please?